Paradox tables and multi-users

Michael Rizzo wrote:

> Hi,

>         I am just wondering if this will work.  I have 3 Win95 pc's on an
> ehternet network, with an NT 3.51 server.  There is a Delphi (2.0) app
> on each pc that inserts a record into the same Paradox table on the
> server each time a magnetic swipe card is 'swiped' thru the swipe
> machine.  The Delphi app basically sits around waiting for a swipe, and
> when it happens it inserts a row into the table.  My question is: can a
> Paradox table handle 3 swipes (inserts) at apporx. the same time, or
> should I move to a tranaction based database server.

  Does your table need to have exclusive access to process your transaction?
If so, then each Delphi app could go into a loop that tries to get exclusive
access to the table.  When it succeeds, it posts the data and releases the lock.
You would want to put this into a finite loop that tries a number of times,
and then does something sensible.

Paul Schopf
Coupled Climate Dynamics Group/971
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Greenbelt, MD 20771

Re:Paradox tables and multi-users

Hi,

        I am just wondering if this will work.  I have 3 Win95 pc's on an
ehternet network, with an NT 3.51 server.  There is a Delphi (2.0) app
on each pc that inserts a record into the same Paradox table on the
server each time a magnetic swipe card is 'swiped' thru the swipe
machine.  The Delphi app basically sits around waiting for a swipe, and
when it happens it inserts a row into the table.  My question is: can a
Paradox table handle 3 swipes (inserts) at apporx. the same time, or
should I move to a tranaction based database server.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Rizzo
m...@thethinker.com

Re:Paradox tables and multi-users

In article <327A0C4F.7...@www.thethinker.com>, From Michael Rizzo
<m...@www.thethinker.com>, the following was written:

> I am just wondering if this will work.  I have 3 Win95 pc's on an
> ehternet network, with an NT 3.51 server.  There is a Delphi (2.0) app
> on each pc that inserts a record into the same Paradox table on the
> server each time a magnetic swipe card is 'swiped' thru the swipe
> machine.  The Delphi app basically sits around waiting for a swipe,
> and when it happens it inserts a row into the table.  My question is:
> can a Paradox table handle 3 swipes (inserts) at apporx. the same
> time, or should I move to a tranaction based database server.

Should work just fine assuming that the table(s) are shared(not
exclusive).

God Bless,

--
Jay Schwisow j...@weldnet.com
11/01/96 21:35

Michael Rizzo <m...@www.thethinker.com> wrote:
>    I am just wondering if this will work.  I have 3 Win95 pc's on an
>ehternet network, with an NT 3.51 server.  There is a Delphi (2.0) app
>on each pc that inserts a record into the same Paradox table on the
>server each time a magnetic swipe card is 'swiped' thru the swipe
>machine.  The Delphi app basically sits around waiting for a swipe, and
>when it happens it inserts a row into the table.  My question is: can a
>Paradox table handle 3 swipes (inserts) at apporx. the same time, or
>should I move to a tranaction based database server.

Mike,

I don't think you will have a problem with this if you only expect that one to
seven people will use the system at one time.  Our tests in house have confirmed
that if you expect to have under seven people on a set of Paradox tables that
speed and data will beat an SQL database (in our test, each client was started
at the same time [almost] and were inserting 10,000 records into three tables).
Once we went over 7 clients the speed began to degrade expodentially, and a SQL
server (SQL Anywhere) worked better (same test of 10,000 records into three
records).

Mike Johnson
Software Engineer
State Of The Art, Inc.