If You Had To Choose ONE Delphi Book...

chu...@uhunix.its.Hawaii.Edu (Chung Hong) wrote:
>QUESTION
>--------
>If you only have enough money to buy 1 Delphi book;  Which One?  Why?

>ASSUMPTION
>----------
>You've written major multi-user XBASE business applications before.
>You're familiar with Windows.
>But Your pascal is very rusty.
>You haven't done much "visual" or "object-oriented" programming.
>You want to make both non-business and business client-server applications.

Well, what about the Delphi Developer's Guide?

It is a good book all around, has some goodies included and helps you
even with things like networking and multimedia...

Regards

Stefan Paetow
ellipse data systems

Re:If You Had To Choose ONE Delphi Book...

There are two books with remarkably similar titles, 'The Delphi
Developers Guide' and just 'Delphi Developers Guide'. One is far superior
to the other, but I can't remember which.

Dave Nottage <DNott...@SCOMHBR3.telecom.com.au> wrote:
>There are two books with remarkably similar titles, 'The Delphi
>Developers Guide' and just 'Delphi Developers Guide'. One is far superior
>to the other, but I can't remember which.

I only have "Delphi Developers Guide" by Xavier Pacheco & Steve
Teixeira (about A$75), SAMS Publishing.  It is aboslutely great.  Do
not mean to say it is better than the one I do not know, but this is
good!  The two authors REALLY know what they are talking about, and
that is not as frequent an occurance as one might suppose ( I should
know, I have authored a book... once upon a time)

Regards,
Al.

Re:If You Had To Choose ONE Delphi Book...

chu...@uhunix.its.Hawaii.Edu (Chung Hong) wrote:
>QUESTION
>--------
>If you only have enough money to buy 1 Delphi book;  Which One?  Why?

        My Pick would be "Delphi for Dummies"
  I have bought and tired " Instant Delphi Programming",
        "Beginnerers guide to .."  and Borlands Press books.

Delphi for Dummies does not insult your intellegence like I thought it
would,  I gives you a lot of hands on examples to try that are fun...

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//////_____________________________________________/////
//////   Mark Jeffrey - crazy...@ix.netcom.com     /////
//////    programmers do it in Multitasking Mode   /////
//////       NT users -- Ban together now          /////
//////_____________________________________________/////
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Re:If You Had To Choose ONE Delphi Book...

>chu...@uhunix.its.Hawaii.Edu (Chung Hong) wrote:
>QUESTION
>--------
>If you only have enough money to buy 1 Delphi book;  Which One?  Why?

Honestly, I've found simply reading these newsgroups to be FAR more helpful
than any of the four book I bought for Delphi. I've also found the "How do
I..." Tips&Tricks pages on the WWW to be VERY helpful.
        If you don't already know Pascal, buy a general Pascal programming
textbook and bust on that. If you know Pascal, and can navigate a GUI, Delphi
pretty much falls right into place.
        I've read a lot of people complaing about the documentation included
with Delphi, but I've found it to be better than that of most other packages
I've seen.

craw...@io.com

Re:If You Had To Choose ONE Delphi Book...

I have several books on Delphi; most of them aren't that good.  I do have
one book, though, that is excellent for both beginner and expert.  It is
called Mastering Delphi and is published by SYBEX.  It covers:

1. Using Delphi (in terms of using components and explaining what they
   do).

2. Basic principles of Object Oriented Programming.

3. Programming with Object Oriented Pascal (in-depth and
   understandable even if you haven't used Pascal before).

4. Basic principle of programming database apps, multimedia (graphics and
   sound) apps, and client/server apps in Delphi.

5. Customizing/Building libraries and components for your own needs.

There are over 1500 pages providing good information (I have noticed
several typos, though).  In my opinion, this book provides enough
information to master delphi and create fairly advanced applications.

Temple

Re:If You Had To Choose ONE Delphi Book...

In article <46nqqe$...@supreme.pcug.org.au>,
   akaba...@pcug.org.au (Algis Kabaila) wrote:

>Dave Nottage <DNott...@SCOMHBR3.telecom.com.au> wrote:

>>There are two books with remarkably similar titles, 'The Delphi
>>Developers Guide' and just 'Delphi Developers Guide'. One is far superior
>>to the other, but I can't remember which.

>I only have "Delphi Developers Guide" by Xavier Pacheco & Steve
>Teixeira

Then you probably are not in a position to compare it to all of the other
Delphi books out there! =)

In any event, I ended up having every Delphi book out there and my choice
is clear:

Mastering Delphi by Marco Cantu -- absolutely brilliant.

After that, the following are also excellent:
Tao of Objects -- if you don't "get" OOP, get this book now
Delphi for Dummies
Delphi Unleashed
Delphi Developer's Guide

Tom Swan's book, "Foundations of Delphi Development on Windows 95" is
misleading at best--it's an introductory book (like most other Delphi
books unfortunately) that has *nothing* to do with Windows 95 or 32-bit
development.  I consider this book a serious dissapointment from a man
I totally admire--it's yet another beginner book and it's title suggests
that its something it just ain't.

Other books to avoid at all costs: "Delphi by Example" and "Teach Yourself
Delphi" are total wastes of time.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Other Threads