Help w/DBase III Tables

Can someone please tell how to access and manipulate DBIII tables with
Borland Pascal 7?  I am having a real hard time reading in the header and
then using it to access the data fields.

Thanks,
Monteiro II

Re:Help w/DBase III Tables

On 11 Mar 1997 04:56:03 GMT, "Frank V. Monteiro II"

<Montei...@WebArise.com> wrote:
>Can someone please tell how to access and manipulate DBIII tables with
>Borland Pascal 7?  I am having a real hard time reading in the header and
>then using it to access the data fields.

I am trying to do the same thing. I found a file in the SIMTEL
archives named TPDB314.ZIP in the dos/turbo pascal section.
Unfortunately is program is old shareware (overpriced at that) with
units for an older version of TP.

If I come across source code to do what your looking for I'll sent it
your way. Hope you can do the same.

Re:Help w/DBase III Tables

hsoud...@calweb.com (Harry Souders) wrote:
>On 11 Mar 1997 04:56:03 GMT, "Frank V. Monteiro II"
><Montei...@WebArise.com> wrote:

>>Can someone please tell how to access and manipulate DBIII tables with
>>Borland Pascal 7?  I am having a real hard time reading in the header and
>>then using it to access the data fields.

>I am trying to do the same thing. I found a file in the SIMTEL
>archives named TPDB314.ZIP in the dos/turbo pascal section.
>Unfortunately is program is old shareware (overpriced at that) with
>units for an older version of TP.

I would have thought there were more solutions to this problem than you could
shake a stuck at. ;-)  Considering the number of requests like yours and the
apparent lack of source code, I decided to clean up the documentation and source
for a somewhat unique approach which you can now find in DBASE.ZIP in the
tpascal directory on my home page (see sig).

The TP 4.0 through 7.0 compatible code supports non-indexed access to dBASE-II
(old aren't we?), dBASE-III, and structured ascii text files.  I had started
work on index objects for dBASE-III NDX and Clipper NTX indexes, but  never
really need index support, so the task wasn't very high priority.  Eventually
time went elsewhere and the project was abandoned. :-(

If you don't like the technique, you should still be able to adapt some of the
code to your particular use.

    ...red
cc hsoud...@calweb.com,Montei...@WebArise.com
--
Roger E. Donais
Jacksonville, FL

Re:Help w/DBase III Tables

R.E.Donais wrote:

> hsoud...@calweb.com (Harry Souders) wrote:

> >On 11 Mar 1997 04:56:03 GMT, "Frank V. Monteiro II"
> ><Montei...@WebArise.com> wrote:

> >>Can someone please tell how to access and manipulate DBIII tables with
> >>Borland Pascal 7?  I am having a real hard time reading in the header and
> >>then using it to access the data fields.

> >I am trying to do the same thing. I found a file in the SIMTEL
> >archives named TPDB314.ZIP in the dos/turbo pascal section.
> >Unfortunately is program is old shareware (overpriced at that) with
> >units for an older version of TP.

TPDB335 is freeware if I remember correctly. It even includes the whole
source code. It is compatible to TP up to Version 7. It works under
Windows, too. There is a homepage somewhere.

> I would have thought there were more solutions to this problem than you could
> shake a stuck at. ;-)

There are - in nearly every TP-book there is such a unit as an example.

> Considering the number of requests like yours and the
> apparent lack of source code, I decided to clean up the documentation and source
> for a somewhat unique approach which you can now find in DBASE.ZIP in the
> tpascal directory on my home page (see sig).

Sorry, I can't access your HP, my browser can't find it.

> The TP 4.0 through 7.0 compatible code supports non-indexed access to dBASE-II
> (old aren't we?), dBASE-III, and structured ascii text files.  I had started
> work on index objects for dBASE-III NDX and Clipper NTX indexes, but  never
> really need index support, so the task wasn't very high priority.  Eventually
> time went elsewhere and the project was abandoned. :-(

> If you don't like the technique, you should still be able to adapt some of the
> code to your particular use.

>     ...red
> cc hsoud...@calweb.com,Montei...@WebArise.com
> --