upgrading from SQL Server 6.5 to 7

Hi,

I have an application deployed which is written in Delphi 5, uses BDE 5.01
and SQL Server 6.5.  The connection to SQL Server is established using the
TDatabase component, and setting parameters (hostname, databasename,
username, password) at runtime.  I was just informed that the client would
like to upgrade to SQL Server 7.0.  What exactly do I need to do on the
client side to upgrade to SQL Server 7?  Is uninstalling SQL Server 6.5
client utilities and installing SQL Server 7 client utilities enough? Or is
it more involved than this?  Are there any specific issues with Delphi apps
and converting from 6.5 to 7 that I should be aware of?

I've looked through a great deal of newsgroups and FAQs and haven't found
much information on this topic, so I would appreciate any suggestions or
helpful hints offered.

Thanks in advance,

-Chris Morrisette

Re:upgrading from SQL Server 6.5 to 7

You can in fact have 6.5 and 7.0 running sidebyside although only one is
actually running at a time.

In terms of Delphi, you should upgrade to the latest version of the BDE.
Your app should be fine but be aware that if you add functionality you maye
need to investigate ADO. Not all of SQL7 functionality is available via the
dblib interface that the BDE SQLLink driver uses.

-Euan

"Chris Morrisette" <cmorr...@vt.edu> wrote in message

> Hi,

> I have an application deployed which is written in Delphi 5, uses BDE 5.01
> and SQL Server 6.5.  The connection to SQL Server is established using the
> TDatabase component, and setting parameters (hostname, databasename,
> username, password) at runtime.  I was just informed that the client would
> like to upgrade to SQL Server 7.0.  What exactly do I need to do on the
> client side to upgrade to SQL Server 7?  Is uninstalling SQL Server 6.5
> client utilities and installing SQL Server 7 client utilities enough? Or
is
> it more involved than this?  Are there any specific issues with Delphi
apps
> and converting from 6.5 to 7 that I should be aware of?

> I've looked through a great deal of newsgroups and FAQs and haven't found
> much information on this topic, so I would appreciate any suggestions or
> helpful hints offered.

> Thanks in advance,

> -Chris Morrisette

Other Threads