Connection to MS-SQL

How can i connect Delphi to MS-SQL 7.0 through the native drivers?

Re:Connection to MS-SQL

That all depends upon which version of Delphi you have.

1. Use the BDE and the "SQL Server" ODBC driver -- will work on any version
of Delphi.

2. Use the BDE and the "MSSQL" native BDE SQL Links driver. Requires
Client/Server or Enterprise version of Delphi.

3. Use the ADO Express components (which come with Delphi 5 Enterprise or
can be purchased separately for Delphi 5 Professional).

4. Find a third-party solution such as SQL Query.

The choice is up to you, but if you have Delphi 5, then you probably should
look to using ADO Express since ADO is the "Microsoft way".

Dave Prothero

Carlos Esparza <carlos_espa...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> How can i connect Delphi to MS-SQL 7.0 through the native drivers?

Re:Connection to MS-SQL

I have D4 client/server, and I am just starting to use it.
I've made a connection using the ODBC dirver for SQL Server.

Maybe you could give me some extra information on using the 2nd option.

Thank you for the information

David Prothero <da...@removethenospam.prothero.com> escribi en el mensaje
de noticias 87hvpk$6...@bornews.borland.com...

> That all depends upon which version of Delphi you have.

> 1. Use the BDE and the "SQL Server" ODBC driver -- will work on any
version
> of Delphi.

> 2. Use the BDE and the "MSSQL" native BDE SQL Links driver. Requires
> Client/Server or Enterprise version of Delphi.

> 3. Use the ADO Express components (which come with Delphi 5 Enterprise or
> can be purchased separately for Delphi 5 Professional).

> 4. Find a third-party solution such as SQL Query.

> The choice is up to you, but if you have Delphi 5, then you probably
should
> look to using ADO Express since ADO is the "Microsoft way".

> Dave Prothero

> Carlos Esparza <carlos_espa...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > How can i connect Delphi to MS-SQL 7.0 through the native drivers?

Re:Connection to MS-SQL

Go into the BDE Administrator, right-click on "Databases" in the tree-view
and select "New". Choose the "MSSQL" driver. "MSSQL1" will be highlighted in
the tree-view. Type in a name you want for the alias and press enter. On the
right-hand side (the properties window), enter the name of your SQL database
(i.e. "pubs" for the sample publishers database) into the "DATABASE NAME"
property. Enter the name of the SQL server computer into the "SERVER NAME"
property (just put a "." period character if the SQL server is on the local
machine). Click the "Apply" button on the toolbar and you have your MSSQL
alias. Then, double-click on the alias name in the tree-view to test it out.
A login will appear where you can enter your name and password.

Make sure you have the MS SQL client access libraries installed on the
client machine first. You can do this by running the MS SQL setup on the
client and unselecting all the install options except for "Client
Utilities".

> I have D4 client/server, and I am just starting to use it.
> I've made a connection using the ODBC dirver for SQL Server.

> Maybe you could give me some extra information on using the 2nd option.

> Thank you for the information

> David Prothero <da...@removethenospam.prothero.com> escribi en el mensaje
> de noticias 87hvpk$6...@bornews.borland.com...
> > 2. Use the BDE and the "MSSQL" native BDE SQL Links driver. Requires
> > Client/Server or Enterprise version of Delphi.

Other Threads