Best Database's for Delphi 5

I have been asked to find the best database program for
Delphi 5, As i have only used Access 97 my knowlage is
limited. The database program must be networkable and must
be stable, I have been told Oracle would be a good choice.
Do you agree?

Re:Best Database's for Delphi 5

"Darrel" <snowNOsnS...@mweb.co.za.invalid> wrote in message

> I have been asked to find the best database program for
> Delphi 5, As i have only used Access 97 my knowlage is
> limited. The database program must be networkable and must
> be stable, I have been told Oracle would be a good choice.
> Do you agree?

Based on the information that you have provided a reasonable answer is
maybe. Picking an appropriate database depends on a large number of factors.
Including the amount of data, type of access required, frequency of access,
peek traffic to the db, required features, etc. Oracle might be a good
choice but it might also be a poor one (sort of like hunting birds with a 40
mm cannon).

You might want to check out http://www.kylecordes.com/ which contains a
comprehensive list of alternatives.

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find

related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is
Beautiful

Re:Best Database's for Delphi 5

As you might guess, it is a matter of choosing the right tool
for the task. the suggestion of checking out the BDE alternatives
page (http://www.kylecordes.com/) is good but you need to
assess what you want and expect from a DBMS or RDMBS.

Single or Multiuser ?
Peer-to-peer network or central server(s) ?
Connect via mapped drives or network addresses ?
Size of database(s) stored ?
Number of concurrent users ?
Number of tables ?
Field naming and size conventions ?
Programmer's ability to use SQL ?

Each of the above will steer you towards some engines and
away from others. A couple of examples;

Single User, <2GB db, Access-type names and sizes, no SQL.
--> use Access via DAO or ADO objects http://www.islamov.com/

Multiuser, 1GB+ db, 5-10 concurrent users, SQL
--> use (maybe) Sybase via ADO or the Sybase SDK

Multiuser, 5GB+ db, 100's users, SQL, complex relationships
--> use (maybe) Oracle via Oracle SDK

Single User, <1GB db, short names and simple datatypes, minimal SQL
--> use dBase tables via ADO or BDE

It's never a simple clear cut decision unless you (as usual) need to temper
your decision with financial reality of needing to buy a server and software
costing $10k+ just to implement the system on a user site....or for
development.

For what it's worth based on the information you've provided, I'd suggest
using ADO or DAO to talk to Access unless your user count is going to
be "large-ish" or you're operating over a WAN or congested LAN. Then
I'd suggest possibly one of the Linux SQL servers if cost is an issue or
MS-SQL if it isn't. The advantage of MS-SQL would have to be that you
can develop using the MSDE (free) and make a single-user app using
the MSDE, then scale it up to multi-user by switching to MS-SQL.

HTH

"If you think you know the answer,
then you don't understand the question !"

Darrel <snowNOsnS...@mweb.co.za.invalid> wrote in message

> I have been asked to find the best database program for
> Delphi 5, As i have only used Access 97 my knowlage is
> limited. The database program must be networkable and must
> be stable, I have been told Oracle would be a good choice.
> Do you agree?

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find

related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is
Beautiful

Other Threads