Saving slowly to a dbase table

i have a slight problem. the app i've written is reading and writing to
a dbase table which contains 2 memo fields. Reading from it seems not to
be the problem but writing to is is a pain in the ***. The saving of the
recor takes about 10-15 seconds.[so the form is sitting on the screen
until it's saved] I know i could cache the updates and wait for idle
time on the bde and then commit the updates, but i don't want to have to
do this. Can anyone suggest anything to me. Thanking you

Re:Saving slowly to a dbase table

Two possible things I can think of:

1. Do the save as a background thread.
2. Cached updates?