Q: Easy way to make a text file into a Paradox Table

Hi!

I'm new to Delphi 2.0 and want to convert some old databases
into Paradox tables. I can export them into ascii files
(fixed length fields), but how can I import them?
I cannon find any "Import" option in the database desktop.
I know that I can write a program to do it (reading the textfile
and updating the table), but that doesn't seem like a shortcut :-)

Thanks

/Erik
--
 Ericsson AS                                       V
 ETO/TX/B/P Erik Larsen                           0"0

Re:Q: Easy way to make a text file into a Paradox Table

In article <31D96C4A.7...@eto.ericsson.se>,
   Erik Larsen <et...@eto.ericsson.se> wrote:

>Hi!

>I'm new to Delphi 2.0 and want to convert some old databases
>into Paradox tables. I can export them into ascii files
>(fixed length fields), but how can I import them?
>I cannon find any "Import" option in the database desktop.
>I know that I can write a program to do it (reading the textfile
>and updating the table), but that doesn't seem like a shortcut :-)

>Thanks

>/Erik

What I've done is sort of kludgy, but if you're only doing it once to smallish
files...

I used Microsoft Works.  I imported the ASCII (tab delimited) files into the
spreadsheet and saved them as dBase.  In DBD, I copied the dBase tables to
Paradox tables.  I have a little Delphi program I wrote to convert fixed
length files to tab (or whatever) delimited files if you need it.

Rick Dubbs, CNA
Technology Coordinator
Monroe-Gregg School District
Monrovia (near Indianapolis), Indiana, USA

Re:Q: Easy way to make a text file into a Paradox Table

>In article <31D96C4A.7...@eto.ericsson.se>,
>   Erik Larsen <et...@eto.ericsson.se> wrote:
>>Hi!

>>I'm new to Delphi 2.0 and want to convert some old databases
>>into Paradox tables. I can export them into ascii files
>>(fixed length fields), but how can I import them?
>>I cannon find any "Import" option in the database desktop.
>>I know that I can write a program to do it (reading the textfile
>>and updating the table), but that doesn't seem like a shortcut :-)

Erik,
If you can get hold of a copy of Paradox for DOS 3.5, 4.0 or 4.5 it has
a utility called FLIMPORT which does exactly what you want. I don't know
whether Paradox for Windows has one, I tried V1 and promptly junked it.

Pat
--
Pat White
email: p...@pwhite.demon.co.uk