Throughput - Fetches and Compression

I am building a decision support system that has remote users on slow
connections so actual fetch size is a big issue.  My recommendation to the
customer: port to client server.

My question to whoever can answer is: When fetching data through BDE from
MS/SQL Server 6.5 or Oracle 7, what options exist for minimizing fetch
size.  I know in Oracle that the VARCHAR2 uses automatic compression, but
what about the actual fetch?  For example, say I have a single
100-character-field in the table and I fetch a record that only uses 10
characters of the 100, what, in principle, will be the size of the fetch
across the wire?  10 or 100?  Is this true for Oracle as well as MS?

Sincerely,

Stuck In The Mud

Re:Throughput - Fetches and Compression

I think the SQL server you use is not relevant. Any compression across
the wire will be down to the network protocol.

My experience is that you have to be very careful with how you access
your data. I use TQuery and use lots of Stored Procedures to reduce
network traffic. Also check your data access using SQL Monitor -
sometimes components do far more access than you expect :-)

Hope this helps,

Brian

Demian Entrekin wrote in message

<01bd3b0e$31693000$8610b8cd@demiane>...
>I am building a decision support system that has remote users on slow
>connections so actual fetch size is a big issue.  My recommendation
to the
>customer: port to client server.

>My question to whoever can answer is: When fetching data through BDE
from
>MS/SQL Server 6.5 or Oracle 7, what options exist for minimizing
fetch
>size.  I know in Oracle that the VARCHAR2 uses automatic compression,
but
>what about the actual fetch?  For example, say I have a single
>100-character-field in the table and I fetch a record that only uses
10
>characters of the 100, what, in principle, will be the size of the
fetch
>across the wire?  10 or 100?  Is this true for Oracle as well as MS?

>Sincerely,

>Stuck In The Mud

Other Threads