Mail Merge MS Word 95/97 Cannot find datasource

    I've setup a report using mail merge with word 95/97.  The mail
merge runs fine on my PC.  When I install the program and word mail
merge main document on a user PC and try to run the mail merge, MS Word
barks at me and says it cannot find the datasource... I understand this
since the data source drive/dir differs between my PC and the user's.

    What is the best way to avoid having the user dealing with a dialog
asking them to find the datasource on the user's PC and not have to
worry about installing the datasource into a drive/dir that matches the
drive/dri on the development PC?  Is this best handled with a Word
macro?  Anybody know of a MS Knowledge base article that would help me?

    Thanks for all help.
    John Newell

  AppliedDataS.vcf
< 1K Download

Re:Mail Merge MS Word 95/97 Cannot find datasource

[...]

One way to handle this would be to use a relative directory (..\DataMerge).
Put the directory on the same level as your default directory (..\bin).
Another way to do it is to create a directory on the users local drive
(c:\TempMrg). If your program is shared by several users you may want to do
this so that they don't try to write the same file when you create the merge
source.
I have found it best to use delimited text as the merge format. Word knows
how to do this without any data drivers so you don't need to work if they
have the correct drivers installed

In article <7v2s0q$7m...@forums.borland.com>, Bill Cart wrote:
> I have found it best to use delimited text as the merge format.

I agree.  One wrinkle for anyone else following along - even a text file must
have the .doc extension.

--
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 13:07 EDT
Jim O'Brien, UnitOOPS Software   unito...@remove-this-prefix.unitoops.com