Remote object creation fails when called from PDC

Hi everyone,

I have a simple client application which connects to a remote server using
the VCL CreateRemoteComObject. The server process is running on Win98.
I am attempting to create an instance of an object called ServerConnection,
with the interface IServerConnection.

We have four NT servers in our network. When I run the client from the
Primary
Domain Controller, "Interface not supported" appears. When the client is run
from any of the other three servers (or my '98 machine), the connection
succeeds every time.

To further isolate the problem, I copied the code for CreateRemoteComObject
and added IServerConnection to the MultiQI structure passed to the
CoCreateInstanceEx API. I discovered that the call to CoCreateInstanceEx
succeeded, but the MultiQI returned DISP_E_BADVARTYPE
(0x80020008) as the HResult for IServerConnection. This is apparently what
was causing the "as" to return "Interface not supported".

Does anyone know why I can't obtain my interface when running from the PDC
but I can from any other machine? I need help.

Thanks in advance
Marcus Graham
Stamina Software Pty Ltd
mailto:marc...@stamina.com.au

Re:Remote object creation fails when called from PDC

I can suggest some things:

1) Make sure you have at least SP3 on NT server
2) Make sure you have the type library registerd on NT server (and also try
logging in with Admin-equivalent rights)

have fun
--
Binh Ly
Brickhouse Data Systems, Inc

Marcus Graham wrote in message <7cpsnt$82...@forums.borland.com>...
>Hi everyone,

>I have a simple client application which connects to a remote server using
>the VCL CreateRemoteComObject. The server process is running on Win98.
>I am attempting to create an instance of an object called ServerConnection,
>with the interface IServerConnection.

>We have four NT servers in our network. When I run the client from the
>Primary
>Domain Controller, "Interface not supported" appears. When the client is
run
>from any of the other three servers (or my '98 machine), the connection
>succeeds every time.

>To further isolate the problem, I copied the code for CreateRemoteComObject
>and added IServerConnection to the MultiQI structure passed to the
>CoCreateInstanceEx API. I discovered that the call to CoCreateInstanceEx
>succeeded, but the MultiQI returned DISP_E_BADVARTYPE
>(0x80020008) as the HResult for IServerConnection. This is apparently what
>was causing the "as" to return "Interface not supported".

>Does anyone know why I can't obtain my interface when running from the PDC
>but I can from any other machine? I need help.

>Thanks in advance
>Marcus Graham
>Stamina Software Pty Ltd
>mailto:marc...@stamina.com.au