Board index » delphi » Interbase server slows down significantly

Interbase server slows down significantly

Hello,

I have a large memory problem with Interbase 5.6 for Novell.

I'm operating with Novell 5.1. I have 6 databases and more than 25
simultaneous users.

As soon as 10 users log on to the databases, my Interbase server slows down
significantly. To an unacceptable level.

My question is as follows: can you provide me with set up parameters to make
my Interbase server perform much better? Or at least give help me to correct
this urgent problem?

Thank you.

Carole Ball
Technico-Commercial
Vision Technologies Intl

 

Re:Interbase server slows down significantly


Quote
Carole Ball wrote:

        First, please do not multi-post your messages.  Doing so violates
Borland's guidelines for the use of their newsgroups.  You can read
these guidelines here:

http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

Quote
> I have a large memory problem with Interbase 5.6 for Novell.

        I'm curious why you think this is a memory problem.  I'm not
challenging your assertion; I just wonder if there's information you
know which is not in your message that would help diagnose the problem.

Quote

> I'm operating with Novell 5.1. I have 6 databases and more than 25
> simultaneous users.

> As soon as 10 users log on to the databases, my Interbase server slows down
> significantly. To an unacceptable level.

        What is your Buffers setting?

Quote
> My question is as follows: can you provide me with set up parameters to make
> my Interbase server perform much better? Or at least give help me to correct
> this urgent problem?

        This may be helpful:

http://community.borland.com/article/interbase/makeibscream.pdf

        Also, use just about any server OS other than Novell.

        HTH,

        -Craig

--
Craig Stuntz (TeamB)       Senior Developer, Vertex Systems Corp.
Delphi/InterBase weblog:   http://delphi.weblogs.com
Use Borland servers; posts via others are not seen by TeamB.
For more info, see http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/genl_faqs.html

Re:Interbase server slows down significantly


Quote
> I have a large memory problem with Interbase 5.6 for Novell.

be aware of your database design when using varchar fields,

As Martijn Tonies stated that IB will expand a varchar to it's full size
before sending it across the network...
this would increase your memory usage on your server when you trying to view
a large number of records that has many -large size- varchars fields.

hth,

-Jaimy

Re:Interbase server slows down significantly


I'm sorry for the muti-post for my first message.

Now, I have more information for my big problem, I hope you helpful me whith
this.

Problem : Memory Allocation Problem
Platform : Novell 4.11 with Interbase 5.6

While Interbase is waiting for a login or a logout, ISERVER.NLM will use all
of the Novell Server Memory, i.e. 295 MB and will take up to 4 minutes
before connecting a user and will slow down any user already connected.
Once the connection is established ISERVER.NLM will drop its memory use down
to 23MB.  This situation will repeat itself 3 to 4 times a day and each time
this occurs, ISERVER.NLM will keep 1 to 2 MBs extra.

Here's an output of the Lock Manager Statistics :
Before the FIRST  WAIT :
LOCK_HEADER BLOCK
 Version: 114, Active owner:      0, Length: 147456, Used:  69164
 Semmask: 0x0, Flags: 0x0001
 Enqs:   2698, Converts:      0, Rejects:      0, Blocks:      0
 Deadlock scans:      0, Deadlocks:      0, Scan interval:  10
 Acquires:   7440, Acquire blocks:      0, Spin count:   0
 Mutex wait: 0.0%
 Hash slots:  101, Hash lengths (min/avg/max):    0/   3/   9
 Remove node:      0, Insert queue:      0, Insert prior:      0
 Owners (13):
 Free owners (200):
 Free locks (8):
 Free requests (7):
 Lock Ordering: Enabled

After the FIRST WAIT:
 Version: 114, Active owner:      0, Length: 147456, Used: 96080
 Semmask: 0x0, Flags: 0x0001
 Enqs:   3391, Converts:      0, Rejects:      0, Blocks:      0
 Deadlock scans:      0, Deadlocks:      0, Scan interval:  10
 Acquires:  10456, Acquire blocks:      0, Spin count:   0
 Mutex wait: 0.0%
 Hash slots:  101, Hash lengths (min/avg/max):    0/   5/  16
 Remove node:      0, Insert queue:      0, Insert prior:      0
 Owners (15):
Free owners (198):
 Free locks (10):
 Free requests (10):

After the SECOND WAIT :
LOCK_HEADER BLOCK
 Version: 114, Active owner:      0, Length: 147456, Used: 106080
 Semmask: 0x0, Flags: 0x0001
 Enqs:   6392, Converts:      0, Rejects:      0, Blocks:      0
 Deadlock scans:      0, Deadlocks:      0, Scan interval:  10
 Acquires:  18497, Acquire blocks:      0, Spin count:   0
 Mutex wait: 0.0%
 Hash slots:  101, Hash lengths (min/avg/max):    0/   5/  16
 Remove node:      0, Insert queue:      0, Insert prior:      0
 Owners (322):
 Free owners (89):
 Free locks (14):
 Free requests (14):
 Lock Ordering: Enabled

Right After the SECOND WAIT:

LOCK_HEADER BLOCK
 Version: 114, Active owner:      0, Length: 147456, Used: 106080
 Semmask: 0x0, Flags: 0x0001
 Enqs:   6407, Converts:      0, Rejects:      0, Blocks:      0
 Deadlock scans:      0, Deadlocks:      0, Scan interval:  10
 Acquires:  18990, Acquire blocks:      0, Spin count:   0
 Mutex wait: 0.0%
 Hash slots:  101, Hash lengths (min/avg/max):    0/   5/  16
 Remove node:      0, Insert queue:      0, Insert prior:      0
 Owners (17):
 Free owners (394):
 Free locks (14):
 Free requests (14):
 Lock Ordering: Enabled

And it keeps going that way until Interbase will stabilize itselft (after
10-12 concurrent connections) but for an unknown reason will start doing the
same scenario again later during the day, and that to a point that Novell
Server will crash.

P.S. The only error messages writtent in the interbase.log file are
INET/inet_erro:read error no=54 and INET/.... error no=32.

Furthermore, how ca we configure for the InterBase DBMS server: the range of
memory pages dedicated to the server, the priority level of the server
process with respect to other processes running on the same machine or where
can we found configuration samples based on actual installation similar to
ours, which is a Novell 4.11 server with Interbase 5.6, 3 to 6 different
databases and 10 to 50 concurrent users in total.

Tank you for your time,
Carole

"Craig Stuntz (TeamB)" <cstuntz@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com> wrote in message
news:3AF32EA6.1AECADC8@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com...

Quote

> Carole Ball wrote:

> First, please do not multi-post your messages.  Doing so violates
> Borland's guidelines for the use of their newsgroups.  You can read
> these guidelines here:

> http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

> > I have a large memory problem with Interbase 5.6 for Novell.

> I'm curious why you think this is a memory problem.  I'm not
> challenging your assertion; I just wonder if there's information you
> know which is not in your message that would help diagnose the problem.

> > I'm operating with Novell 5.1. I have 6 databases and more than 25
> > simultaneous users.

> > As soon as 10 users log on to the databases, my Interbase server slows
down
> > significantly. To an unacceptable level.

> What is your Buffers setting?

> > My question is as follows: can you provide me with set up parameters to
make
> > my Interbase server perform much better? Or at least give help me to
correct
> > this urgent problem?

> This may be helpful:

> http://community.borland.com/article/interbase/makeibscream.pdf

> Also, use just about any server OS other than Novell.

> HTH,

> -Craig

> --
> Craig Stuntz (TeamB)       Senior Developer, Vertex Systems Corp.
> Delphi/InterBase weblog:   http://delphi.weblogs.com
> Use Borland servers; posts via others are not seen by TeamB.
> For more info, see http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/genl_faqs.html

Re:Interbase server slows down significantly


Quote
Carole Ball wrote:

> While Interbase is waiting for a login or a logout, ISERVER.NLM will use all
> of the Novell Server Memory, i.e. 295 MB and will take up to 4 minutes
> before connecting a user and will slow down any user already connected.
> Once the connection is established ISERVER.NLM will drop its memory use down
> to 23MB.  This situation will repeat itself 3 to 4 times a day and each time
> this occurs, ISERVER.NLM will keep 1 to 2 MBs extra.

        I know very little about IB on Novell other than it's generally slow
relative to IB on other platforms, so I hope someone with more Novell
experience than me can jump in here...

Quote
> Here's an output of the Lock Manager Statistics :

        What is your buffers setting?  Also, can you post the gstat output for
the database most users are using?

Quote
> Furthermore, how ca we configure for the InterBase DBMS server:

        See the document I referenced in my last message.

Quote
> the range of memory pages dedicated to the server,

        You can't control this, but you can control the amount of memory the
server will attempt to use.

Quote
> the priority level of the server
> process with respect to other processes running on the same machine

        You cannot control this.

        I generally recommend running IB on a machine by itself, and I
recommend using anything but Novell as the OS for the IB server.  You
can still make this work with your existing Novell network, however.  

        HTH,

        -Craig

--
Craig Stuntz (TeamB)       Senior Developer, Vertex Systems Corp.
Delphi/InterBase weblog:   http://delphi.weblogs.com
Use Borland servers; posts via others are not seen by TeamB.
For more info, see http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/genl_faqs.html

Other Threads