Interbase dialect 3 Int64 and BDE 5.2

Hi all,

[Workstation Applications]
Corel Paradox 10
BDE 5.2.0.2
Interbase 6.01

This is probably a BDE question, however I am having problems in Paradox 10
using INT64 fields within Paradox 10 or the Database Desktop.

I wish to use an applicaiton which was developed originally in Paradox for
Windows 4.5 and has been upgraded through Paradox 5.0, 7.0, 8.0, and now
(hopefully) 10.0 along with a Dialect 3 Interbase database.

Interbase dialect 3 databases store numeric values as long integers with a
decimal placeholder reference, making decimal math accurate to the precision
desired.  BDE 5.2 is supposed to operate with dialect 3 databases, however
it would appear that INT64 fields are not available within the Database
Desktop or Paradox.

To see the issue :
- ensure you have upgraded the BDE to 5.2
(http://ibinstall.defined.net/download/BDEInfoSetup.zip)
- create a dialect 3 test database in interbase
- create a test table similar to :
CREATE TABLE "TESTINT64"
(
  "F1" NUMERIC(18, 4),
  "F2" NUMERIC(15, 4),
  "F3" NUMERIC(12, 4),
  "F4" NUMERIC(8, 4)
);
- open the table in Paradox 10 or the Database Desktop
- attempt to create a new record in the table - only the last field will be
available to change
- (if Paradox 10) attempt to create a Quick Form - only one field appears

Does anyone have any information that might be of use to me on this issue?

Cheers from New Zealand,
Jono

Re:Interbase dialect 3 Int64 and BDE 5.2

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:35:23 +1300, "Jonathan Hull"

<j...@fabsoftware.com> wrote:
>Hi all,

>[Workstation Applications]
>Corel Paradox 10
>BDE 5.2.0.2
>Interbase 6.01

>This is probably a BDE question, however I am having problems in Paradox 10
>using INT64 fields within Paradox 10 or the Database Desktop.

>I wish to use an applicaiton which was developed originally in Paradox for
>Windows 4.5 and has been upgraded through Paradox 5.0, 7.0, 8.0, and now
>(hopefully) 10.0 along with a Dialect 3 Interbase database.

>Interbase dialect 3 databases store numeric values as long integers with a
>decimal placeholder reference, making decimal math accurate to the precision
>desired.  BDE 5.2 is supposed to operate with dialect 3 databases, however
>it would appear that INT64 fields are not available within the Database
>Desktop or Paradox.

It's much worse than that. The BDE does not support 64 bit integers.
The statement that BDE 5.2 supports InterBase dialect 3 databases is
not correct. It provides partial support. Int64 numbers is the feature
that is not supported.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:Interbase dialect 3 Int64 and BDE 5.2

> >Interbase dialect 3 databases store numeric values as long integers with
> >decimal placeholder reference, making decimal math accurate to the
precision
> >desired.  BDE 5.2 is supposed to operate with dialect 3 databases,
however
> >it would appear that INT64 fields are not available within the Database
> >Desktop or Paradox.

> It's much worse than that. The BDE does not support 64 bit integers.
> The statement that BDE 5.2 supports InterBase dialect 3 databases is
> not correct. It provides partial support. Int64 numbers is the feature
> that is not supported.

Thanks for answering Bill, this leads me to a general question regarding
open-sourcing the BDE and SQL Links, but I'll do it as a new post in case
the issue gets burried in this post.
> --
> Bill (TeamB)

Re:Interbase dialect 3 Int64 and BDE 5.2

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:12:09 +1300, "Jonathan Hull"

<j...@fabsoftware.com> wrote:
>> >Interbase dialect 3 databases store numeric values as long integers with
>> >decimal placeholder reference, making decimal math accurate to the
>precision
>> >desired.  BDE 5.2 is supposed to operate with dialect 3 databases,
>however
>> >it would appear that INT64 fields are not available within the Database
>> >Desktop or Paradox.

>> It's much worse than that. The BDE does not support 64 bit integers.
>> The statement that BDE 5.2 supports InterBase dialect 3 databases is
>> not correct. It provides partial support. Int64 numbers is the feature
>> that is not supported.

>Thanks for answering Bill, this leads me to a general question regarding
>open-sourcing the BDE and SQL Links, but I'll do it as a new post in case
>the issue gets burried in this post.

Don't waste your time. This has already been discussed. The BDE and
SQL links include patented technology that Borland uses in other
products (dbExpress for one) and collects royalties on. They are not
going to open source either.

--
Bill (TeamB)