ARRRRG My program doesn't work in NT, please help

Short story:
I have a fractal program and I just changed it to use bitmaps, now it wont
draw anything on NT computers (works perfect on 98).  Instead it's blank,
resizing gives weird errors like "can't find procedure" or "can't find
handle" or several others.

Long story:
Maybe my friends are right and I should switch to C...
My program worked under any OS in Delphi 3 as long as delphi was installed,
but on any computer without delphi installed it gave me EOLESysErrors.  I
think it was because of the THTML component I was using, but tech support
literaly and truly told me this was a feature, not a bug.
Now in Delphi 5 there is no THTML, so I rewrote my program.  I also stoped
drawing on the canvas and started using a bitmap.  Now it wont run on an NT
computer but works on any win98 computer with or without Delphi installed.
Any ideas what I did wrong???

Before you tell me to stop using bitmaps, here's another story:
    First I drew the fractal to the form canvas.  This sucked for lots of
reasons.
    Then I drew it to a array which I then copied to the canvas.
Sloooooooooow.
    Then I put a TImage on the canvas and drew to that.  Great, except
resizing the form caused crashes.
    Now draw to a bitmap and every half second draw the bitmap to the form
canvas.  Perfect on 98.

Thanks in advance.

Re:ARRRRG My program doesn't work in NT, please help

"Seth Kintigh" <skint...@yahoo.com> skrev i en meddelelse

> Short story:
> I have a fractal program and I just changed it to use bitmaps, now it wont
> draw anything on NT computers (works perfect on 98).  Instead it's blank,
> resizing gives weird errors like "can't find procedure" or "can't find
> handle" or several others.
> Before you tell me to stop using bitmaps, here's another story:

No, bitmaps are fine.

>     First I drew the fractal to the form canvas.  This sucked for lots of
> reasons.
>     Then I drew it to a array which I then copied to the canvas.
> Sloooooooooow.
>     Then I put a TImage on the canvas and drew to that.  Great, except
> resizing the form caused crashes.

It should not cause crashes, except if you are doing something wrong.

>     Now draw to a bitmap and every half second draw the bitmap to the form
> canvas.  Perfect on 98.

There is no problem at all in using a bitmap.
That will work on all windows versions.
You must be doing something wrong since it doesn't work for you.
If can post the source in the .attachment group I will be happy to look at
it for you.
--
Finn Tolderlund

Re:ARRRRG My program doesn't work in NT, please help

Aahhh, don't use THTML.
Just use a TImage. That is all.
It is not that difficult.

Rene

Seth Kintigh wrote:

> Short story:
> I have a fractal program and I just changed it to use bitmaps, now it wont
> draw anything on NT computers (works perfect on 98).  Instead it's blank,
> resizing gives weird errors like "can't find procedure" or "can't find
> handle" or several others.

> Long story:
> Maybe my friends are right and I should switch to C...
> My program worked under any OS in Delphi 3 as long as delphi was installed,
> but on any computer without delphi installed it gave me EOLESysErrors.  I
> think it was because of the THTML component I was using, but tech support
> literaly and truly told me this was a feature, not a bug.
> Now in Delphi 5 there is no THTML, so I rewrote my program.  I also stoped
> drawing on the canvas and started using a bitmap.  Now it wont run on an NT
> computer but works on any win98 computer with or without Delphi installed.
> Any ideas what I did wrong???

> Before you tell me to stop using bitmaps, here's another story:
>     First I drew the fractal to the form canvas.  This sucked for lots of
> reasons.
>     Then I drew it to a array which I then copied to the canvas.
> Sloooooooooow.
>     Then I put a TImage on the canvas and drew to that.  Great, except
> resizing the form caused crashes.
>     Now draw to a bitmap and every half second draw the bitmap to the form
> canvas.  Perfect on 98.

> Thanks in advance.

Re:ARRRRG My program doesn't work in NT, please help

>     Now draw to a bitmap and every half second draw the bitmap to the form
> canvas.  Perfect on 98.

Have you tried using a TPaintBox? Drawing a TBitmap in the OnPaint
handler (and when changes are applied to the bitmap) was never a problem
in my applications, no matter which version of Windows was used. TImage
should also work well. If you have very big images, TBitmap might cause
problems, but this is not a Delphi problem, but a general Windows
problem (the maximum size depends on the Windows version and the
graphics driver you use). Indeed there a some solutions for this, one of
the best ones is Graphics32, which you can find at http://www.g32.org

Jens

Re:ARRRRG My program doesn't work in NT, please help

If you provide me with the source I'll try to compile and test here!

I use an NT system.

Bitmaps should NOT be a problem on NT, it would first be a problem the other
way around!

Do you use a very big bitmap? Check out Earl's site for some information
about huge bitmaps, if you suspect that's the problem.

Another cause could perhaps be colordepth and using DDB bitmaps. Try
changing color resolution of your system and see if that helps.

Most probably, your problem does not even relate to the bitmap but more to
some memory allocation error that is getting through the mazes of W95/98 but
not through the mazes of NT.

Regards, Nils

Seth Kintigh <skint...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Short story:
> I have a fractal program and I just changed it to use bitmaps, now it wont
> draw anything on NT computers (works perfect on 98).  Instead it's blank,
> resizing gives weird errors like "can't find procedure" or "can't find
> handle" or several others.

> Long story:
> Maybe my friends are right and I should switch to C...
> My program worked under any OS in Delphi 3 as long as delphi was
installed,
> but on any computer without delphi installed it gave me EOLESysErrors.  I
> think it was because of the THTML component I was using, but tech support
> literaly and truly told me this was a feature, not a bug.
> Now in Delphi 5 there is no THTML, so I rewrote my program.  I also stoped
> drawing on the canvas and started using a bitmap.  Now it wont run on an
NT
> computer but works on any win98 computer with or without Delphi installed.
> Any ideas what I did wrong???

> Before you tell me to stop using bitmaps, here's another story:
>     First I drew the fractal to the form canvas.  This sucked for lots of
> reasons.
>     Then I drew it to a array which I then copied to the canvas.
> Sloooooooooow.
>     Then I put a TImage on the canvas and drew to that.  Great, except
> resizing the form caused crashes.
>     Now draw to a bitmap and every half second draw the bitmap to the form
> canvas.  Perfect on 98.

> Thanks in advance.

Re:ARRRRG My program doesn't work in NT, please help

I zipped my code here:
http://skintigh.tripod.com/ff_bmp.zip

Any help would be loved.  Hopefully it's some simple mistake.

"Nils" <n.ha...@quicknet.nl> wrote in message <news:3c67a803_2@dnews>...
> If you provide me with the source I'll try to compile and test here!

> I use an NT system.

> Bitmaps should NOT be a problem on NT, it would first be a problem the other
> way around!

> Do you use a very big bitmap? Check out Earl's site for some information
> about huge bitmaps, if you suspect that's the problem.

> Another cause could perhaps be colordepth and using DDB bitmaps. Try
> changing color resolution of your system and see if that helps.

> Most probably, your problem does not even relate to the bitmap but more to
> some memory allocation error that is getting through the mazes of W95/98 but
> not through the mazes of NT.

> Regards, Nils

> Seth Kintigh <skint...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Short story:
> > I have a fractal program and I just changed it to use bitmaps, now it wont
> > draw anything on NT computers (works perfect on 98).  Instead it's blank,
> > resizing gives weird errors like "can't find procedure" or "can't find
> > handle" or several others.

> > Long story:
> > Maybe my friends are right and I should switch to C...
> > My program worked under any OS in Delphi 3 as long as delphi was
>  installed,
> > but on any computer without delphi installed it gave me EOLESysErrors.  I
> > think it was because of the THTML component I was using, but tech support
> > literaly and truly told me this was a feature, not a bug.
> > Now in Delphi 5 there is no THTML, so I rewrote my program.  I also stoped
> > drawing on the canvas and started using a bitmap.  Now it wont run on an
>  NT
> > computer but works on any win98 computer with or without Delphi installed.
> > Any ideas what I did wrong???

> > Before you tell me to stop using bitmaps, here's another story:
> >     First I drew the fractal to the form canvas.  This sucked for lots of
> > reasons.
> >     Then I drew it to a array which I then copied to the canvas.
> > Sloooooooooow.
> >     Then I put a TImage on the canvas and drew to that.  Great, except
> > resizing the form caused crashes.
> >     Now draw to a bitmap and every half second draw the bitmap to the form
> > canvas.  Perfect on 98.

> > Thanks in advance.

Re:ARRRRG My program doesn't work in NT, please help

No offense, but,  before switching to C, you should think that ignorance is
not a bug.

Jens Gruschel wrote:
>>    Now draw to a bitmap and every half second draw the bitmap to the form
>>canvas.  Perfect on 98.

>Have you tried using a TPaintBox? Drawing a TBitmap in the OnPaint
>handler (and when changes are applied to the bitmap) was never a problem
>in my applications, no matter which version of Windows was used. TImage
>should also work well. If you have very big images, TBitmap might cause
>problems, but this is not a Delphi problem, but a general Windows
>problem (the maximum size depends on the Windows version and the
>graphics driver you use). Indeed there a some solutions for this, one of
>the best ones is Graphics32, which you can find at http://www.g32.org

>Jens

Hi ,
I do the same way

Paintbox for all the mouse cinema and TBitmapas as drawing memory

Bye Alex

Re:ARRRRG My program doesn't work in NT, please help

Seth Kintigh<3c64aa6e$1_1@dnews>wrote

>Long story:
>Maybe my friends are right and I should switch to C...
>My program worked under any OS in Delphi 3 as long as delphi was installed,
>but on any computer without delphi installed it gave me EOLESysErrors.  I
>think it was because of the THTML component I was using, but tech support
>literaly and truly told me this was a feature, not a bug.

Not Bug, that's the feature of ActiveX Controls which Microsoft
determined.

Seth Kintigh<3c64aa6e$1_1@dnews>wrote

>Before you tell me to stop using bitmaps, here's another story:
>    First I drew the fractal to the form canvas.  This sucked for lots of
>reasons.
>    Then I drew it to a array which I then copied to the canvas.
>Sloooooooooow.
>    Then I put a TImage on the canvas and drew to that.  Great, except
>resizing the form caused crashes.
>    Now draw to a bitmap and every half second draw the bitmap to the form
>canvas.  Perfect on 98.

Presumably , You made something wrong. I've written tons of codes using
TImages and TBitmaps, and I know the nature of TBitmap and TImage deeply.
Please tell me How you use TBitmaps and TImages.

--
Takuo Nakamura mailto:nakam...@asahi.email.ne.jp

Other Threads