Sql server access

I don't know if this has already been asked here, if so, sorry guys...

My question is: is there anyway to access MS Sql server through a
descendent of TDataset (like TOraQuery from ODAC to Oracle) ?

My App needs to be able to access Oracle and Paradox and I've managed
this far... But now the price tag in oracle licences will double in my
country (Portugal) and my clients will be glad to know that the M$
solution costs half the price... <g>

I only need Sql access (insert, update, select, delete) no stored
procedures etc... Just data storage/retrieval

O suggestions are welcome.

TIA

Re:Sql server access

Julia,

   Oracle and Paradox are completely different animals and adding MSSQL may
over-complicate what you want to do.  Do you get to choose the database?  If
price is a factor, check out Interbase (I'm not sure, is it still free?).
It's powerful enough to complete with the "big boys", yet as easy to
administer as a Paradox db.   You may not need stored-procs now, but next
week, next year, when end-user requirements change (and they always do)
you'll be glad the database backend has that option.

Good luck,
krf

julia guero <n...@mail.please> wrote in message

> I don't know if this has already been asked here, if so, sorry guys...

> My question is: is there anyway to access MS Sql server through a
> descendent of TDataset (like TOraQuery from ODAC to Oracle) ?

> My App needs to be able to access Oracle and Paradox and I've managed
> this far... But now the price tag in oracle licences will double in my
> country (Portugal) and my clients will be glad to know that the M$
> solution costs half the price... <g>

> I only need Sql access (insert, update, select, delete) no stored
> procedures etc... Just data storage/retrieval

> O suggestions are welcome.

> TIA

Re:Sql server access

In fact my App is currently 90% completed and it actually works with
Oracle or Paradox access with the same exe. Since I got the data
access to One (1!) datamodule (ModSql) and inherited 2 child DMs
(ModSqlOra and ModSqlPdx) wich I create as :
ModSql := TModSqlOra or
ModSql := TModSqlPdx, according to whats configured in the ini.

Every single sql statement passes through this code. I' even done my
own components to take over what DbControls do. And It works...

But my boss came to me today to tell me about the server/user licence
prices and Sql server came up in the conversation, what I really need
to know is if there is any way a descended TDataset object can be used
to access MS SQL.
BTW MSSql comes with Win NT so it becomes really cheap for my clients
since most of them already have NT.

PS: What do you think of this implementation?

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 15:51:54 -0500, "Kevin Frevert"

<kfrev...@midwayusa.com> wrote:
>Julia,

>   Oracle and Paradox are completely different animals and adding MSSQL may
>over-complicate what you want to do.  Do you get to choose the database?  If
>price is a factor, check out Interbase (I'm not sure, is it still free?).
>It's powerful enough to complete with the "big boys", yet as easy to
>administer as a Paradox db.   You may not need stored-procs now, but next
>week, next year, when end-user requirements change (and they always do)
>you'll be glad the database backend has that option.

>Good luck,
>krf

Re:Sql server access

Try SQLDirect at this URL: http://www.sqldirect-soft.com/

It provides direct access using native APIs to SQL Server as well as
Oracle, DB2, Sybase, Informix and others.

Quite a remarkable product. I've been using it with SQL Server for
years.

Re:Sql server access

Maybe i don't understand your question (sorry), but why you need TDataSet
descendants? Why don't you just use the TQuery and TTable objects?

--
Guillermo Casta?o Acevedo <SIRIO>
Guiller...@GrupoMillennium.com

Re:Sql server access

Julia,

   That sounds like a pretty good implementation.  The downside (not a
problem, more of an inconvenience) is when you need to make changes, you
must make them in both datamodules.  I'm not sure how complicated your
design is, but mixing Paradox, Oracle, and MSSQL can lead to a maintenance
nightmare.  One change in one db, you have to make changes in all dbs, and
modify all child datamodules, etc, etc.

As far as a TDataset descendent, there are a number of database specific BDE
replacements available (www.torry.com), but I'm curious, why not simply use
the BDE (TQuery)?

> In fact my App is currently 90% completed and it actually works with
> Oracle or Paradox access with the same exe. Since I got the data
> access to One (1!) datamodule (ModSql) and inherited 2 child DMs
> (ModSqlOra and ModSqlPdx) wich I create as :
> ModSql := TModSqlOra or
> ModSql := TModSqlPdx, according to whats configured in the ini.

> Every single sql statement passes through this code. I' even done my
> own components to take over what DbControls do. And It works...

> But my boss came to me today to tell me about the server/user licence
> prices and Sql server came up in the conversation, what I really need
> to know is if there is any way a descended TDataset object can be used
> to access MS SQL.
> BTW MSSql comes with Win NT so it becomes really cheap for my clients
> since most of them already have NT.

> PS: What do you think of this implementation?

Re:Sql server access

On Mon, 09 Jul 2001 21:47:52 -0500, Guillermo Casta?o

<Guiller...@GrupoMillennium.com> wrote:
>Maybe i don't understand your question (sorry), but why you need TDataSet
>descendants? Why don't you just use the TQuery and TTable objects?

I need them because I've already written 90% of my app, (Yes, And now
they remember MS SQL...) and every where i call a dataset i call them
as TDataSet them perform the operations like this:
if DataSet is TOraQuery then begin
  //It's an Oracle dataset
end else
if  DataSet is TQuery then begin
  //It's PDX

I know, I could use BDE to access them all, but if you have compared
BDE access and OCI (Oracle call interface) you know why I don't...

(sorry for the bad english)

Re:Sql server access

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 07:39:36 -0500, "Kevin Frevert"

<kfrev...@midwayusa.com> wrote:
>Julia,

>   That sounds like a pretty good implementation.  The downside (not a
>problem, more of an inconvenience) is when you need to make changes, you
>must make them in both datamodules.  I'm not sure how complicated your
>design is, but mixing Paradox, Oracle, and MSSQL can lead to a maintenance
>nightmare.  One change in one db, you have to make changes in all dbs, and
>modify all child datamodules, etc, etc.

>As far as a TDataset descendent, there are a number of database specific BDE
>replacements available (www.torry.com), but I'm curious, why not simply use
>the BDE (TQuery)?

well, i tried, but, to be honest : "it sucks right?", I mean, it's
good for single user, it's ok (most of the times) for multi user, but
as a layer between OCI and my app it doesn't work. At least to my
expectations...

I'd rather not use it... ( I don't even think I can...)

>maintenance nightmare?

I'm already on it....
 "Well...err...this isn't the first time I......."  <g>

BTW there is no mixing:
I can change DBs (provided they are configured clientwise) by changing
one value in a INI file...

In my parent DM (ModSql) I have :
public
  QTmp :TDataset;
end;

in my child PDX DM i have

  QTmpPDX:TQuery
in it's creation i do:
QTmp := QTmpPdx;

in my child Oracle DM i have

  QTmpOra:TOraQuery
in it's creation i do:
QTmp := QTmpOra;

In my App I always use ModSql.Qtmp as TDataset, never like a
TQuery....

Now I wanted to add a ModSqlMS...
Any ideas?

Re:Sql server access

A closer look helped me see that TAdoDataset is a TDataset
descendant...

Thanks anyway....

Other Threads