Paradox vs DBase vs Access

Paradox is marketed by Corel, but do Borland still develop the product?
If not, should we consider switching to Access tables instead?

DBase tables work fine, but they're missing too many features - such as
table level password protection, referential integrity and what about a
table repair utility?

I would rather use tables developed by Borland - based on the assumption
that they're more likely to integrate better with Delphi.

Any opinions?

Re:Paradox vs DBase vs Access

Emmanuel Samios wrote:

> Paradox is marketed by Corel, but do Borland still develop the product?
> If not, should we consider switching to Access tables instead?

> DBase tables work fine, but they're missing too many features - such as
> table level password protection, referential integrity and what about a
> table repair utility?

> I would rather use tables developed by Borland - based on the assumption
> that they're more likely to integrate better with Delphi.

> Any opinions?

Hello,
  Paradox the product is created by Corel but Borland created the BDE
which supports Paradox tables.  Look at dBASE 7; it supports most of the
things you are looking for.  dBASE 7 tables are supported in BDE v4.51.
Look at: http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/bdeupdate.html

  Scott
--
BDE Support:
 http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde

Re:Paradox vs DBase vs Access

On 4 Feb 1998 13:35:00 GMT, "Emmanuel Samios" <emman...@bit.net.au>
wrote:

>Paradox is marketed by Corel, but do Borland still develop the product?
>If not, should we consider switching to Access tables instead?

>DBase tables work fine, but they're missing too many features - such as
>table level password protection, referential integrity and what about a
>table repair utility?

>I would rather use tables developed by Borland - based on the assumption
>that they're more likely to integrate better with Delphi.

>Any opinions?

We tried paradox for our application and gave up do to performance
problems in a multi-user environment. Dbase was much faster.

I've never needed a repair utility for dbase because the underlying
structure is simpler than that for Paradox. I just re-index if the
index got munched. Much simpler. Of course you need to remember the
definition in order to recreate the index if it got really munched. I
wrote my own little utility to do this.

We have just started migrating to the advantage server using the
standard bde interfaces. Works pretty well except if your into TQuery
big time, in which case you need to jump thru a few hoops. It has
transactions, database protection etc which pure dbase lacks.

Its also fast, and (hold on to your seat.. they give great support!

Hope this helps.

wrote:

>Paradox is marketed by Corel, but do Borland still develop the product?
>If not, should we consider switching to Access tables instead?

>DBase tables work fine, but they're missing too many features - such as
>table level password protection, referential integrity and what about a
>table repair utility?

>I would rather use tables developed by Borland - based on the assumption
>that they're more likely to integrate better with Delphi.

>Any opinions?

We tried paradox for our application and gave up do to performance
problems in a multi-user environment. Dbase was much faster.

I've never needed a repair utility for dbase because the underlying
structure is simpler than that for Paradox. I just re-index if the
index got munched. Much simpler. Of course you need to remember the
definition in order to recreate the index if it got really munched. I
wrote my own little utility to do this.

We have just started migrating to the advantage server using the
standard bde interfaces. Works pretty well except if your into TQuery
big time, in which case you need to jump thru a few hoops. It has
transactions, database protection etc which pure dbase lacks.

Its also fast, and (hold on to your seat.. they give great support!

Hope this helps.

Other Threads