Rexx-like string functions in Pascal?

Having just purchased and installed Virtual Pascal, I am eager to pick
up where I left off some eight years ago with Turbo Pascal.

But not completely.

I have lately been using a language called Object Rexx, which although
interpreted and has no typing, has one major advantage:  greatly
simplified string and string parsing.

Does anyone know of any libraries of string-handling functions similar
to Rexx's, or a good general string/ word handling library (preferably
open-source or public domain) to assist me in implementing a subset of
the Rexx string functions in Pascal?

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Willliam Sonna
wso...@ibm.net

Re:Rexx-like string functions in Pascal?

In article <05C6FUhLDNUU-pn2-0GFgLXl7Xl3j@localhost>,
  wso...@ibm.net (William Sonna) wrote:

> Having just purchased and installed Virtual Pascal, I am eager to pick
> up where I left off some eight years ago with Turbo Pascal.

> But not completely.

> I have lately been using a language called Object Rexx, which although
> interpreted and has no typing, has one major advantage:  greatly
> simplified string and string parsing.

> Does anyone know of any libraries of string-handling functions similar
> to Rexx's, or a good general string/ word handling library (preferably
> open-source or public domain) to assist me in implementing a subset of
> the Rexx string functions in Pascal?

> Thanks for any and all assistance.

For Rexx' parse have a look at
http://www.uni-muenster.de/ZIV/Mitarbeiter/EberhardSturm/parse.inc

It's PL/I, but should be understandable for someone who knows both Rexx
& Pascal.

HTH,

Robert

PS: How compatible is VP with TP?
--
Robert AH Prins
prin...@willis.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Re:Rexx-like string functions in Pascal?

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999 08:40:19, Robert AH Prins

<prin...@williscorroon.com> wrote:
> In article <05C6FUhLDNUU-pn2-0GFgLXl7Xl3j@localhost>,
>   wso...@ibm.net (William Sonna) wrote:
> > Having just purchased and installed Virtual Pascal, I am eager to pick
> > up where I left off some eight years ago with Turbo Pascal.

> > But not completely.

> > I have lately been using a language called Object Rexx, which although
> > interpreted and has no typing, has one major advantage:  greatly
> > simplified string and string parsing.

> > Does anyone know of any libraries of string-handling functions similar
> > to Rexx's, or a good general string/ word handling library (preferably
> > open-source or public domain) to assist me in implementing a subset of
> > the Rexx string functions in Pascal?

> > Thanks for any and all assistance.

> For Rexx' parse have a look at
> http://www.uni-muenster.de/ZIV/Mitarbeiter/EberhardSturm/parse.inc

> It's PL/I, but should be understandable for someone who knows both Rexx
> & Pascal.

> HTH,

> Robert

> PS: How compatible is VP with TP?
> --
> Robert AH Prins
> prin...@willis.com

Thanks for that one!  EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

Realistically it will have to be simplified  somewhat for Pascal, but
I think I can capture the essence of Rexx parsing with "procedure
NextLine.Parse_Upper('1 * 12 * 15 27 * "," *')".

Thanks again.  When I get it working, I'll post it for general
comments/consumption.

Other Threads