Year 2000:IBM S/370

The Feb 5 issue of InformationWeek includes several articles
about the Year 2000 date problem.  There was a statement
that I find hard to believe, and since this group has a large
following in the IBM Big Iron world, perhaps I can find an
answer.

The author stated "Last fall the company (IBM) revealed that
some of its decades-old hardware, such as the S/370
mainframes, cannot be modified at all to speak 2000-ese."

Is this possible?  It's been a while since I worked on a S/370
machine, but neither I nor several collegues can understand
this statement.

Perhaps one of you have an answer.

Phil

     The earth is populated by scientists who practice the art of
     infallibility, and non-scientists who are taken in by them.

               (with credit to whomever I copied it from)

Re:Year 2000:IBM S/370

pgra...@interaccess.com wrote:

|The Feb 5 issue of InformationWeek includes several articles
|  [ remainder deleted]

Sorry - ment to post to comp.lang.cobol.  Excuse the error.

Phil

     The earth is populated by scientists who practice the art of
     infallibility, and non-scientists who are taken in by them.

               (with credit to whomever I copied it from)

Other Threads