Delphi App / IB Console takes ages to connect to DB

We have a IB6.0 database running on Red Hat 7.1. We use Win2K clients that
connect via TCP to the server. (Both machines are PIII 700 - 256MB RAM -
100Mb Network)

When Delphi or any Delphi app or even Interbase Console tries to connect to
the database it takes between 30 seconds and a minute. Once it is connected
it runs like a dream.

Whe shared some directories on the linux server and tried to connect and
copy files to see if it could be a server / network problem. The connection
took only a second or two and files copied as one would expect on a 100Mb
network.

We thought it could be a DNS problem so we replaced the host name with an IP
address and also added the server name and ip to the hosts file just in
case. Then we used SQL Monitor and confirmed that it was the connect that is
responsible for the delay.

We tried it with Shema Cache enabled and disabled, still the same results.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Gertjie Steyn

Re:Delphi App / IB Console takes ages to connect to DB

Does your problem after adding IP address and server name to the hosts file
still exists?

--
Best Regards
Thomas Steinmaurer
"Gertjie Steyn" <pub...@ise.co.za> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> We have a IB6.0 database running on Red Hat 7.1. We use Win2K clients that
> connect via TCP to the server. (Both machines are PIII 700 - 256MB RAM -
> 100Mb Network)

> When Delphi or any Delphi app or even Interbase Console tries to connect
> the database it takes between 30 seconds and a minute. Once it is
connected
> it runs like a dream.

> Whe shared some directories on the linux server and tried to connect and
> copy files to see if it could be a server / network problem. The
connection
> took only a second or two and files copied as one would expect on a 100Mb
> network.

> We thought it could be a DNS problem so we replaced the host name with an
IP
> address and also added the server name and ip to the hosts file just in
> case. Then we used SQL Monitor and confirmed that it was the connect that
is
> responsible for the delay.

> We tried it with Shema Cache enabled and disabled, still the same results.

> Does anyone have any ideas?

> Thanks
> Gertjie Steyn

Re:Delphi App / IB Console takes ages to connect to DB

Yes, it is still there...

Thomas Steinmaurer <t...@iblogmanager.com> wrote in message

> Does your problem after adding IP address and server name to the hosts
file
> still exists?

> --
> Best Regards
> Thomas Steinmaurer
> IB LogManager - The Logging Tool for Interbase/Firebird
> http://www.iblogmanager.com
> "Gertjie Steyn" <pub...@ise.co.za> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > We have a IB6.0 database running on Red Hat 7.1. We use Win2K clients
that
> > connect via TCP to the server. (Both machines are PIII 700 - 256MB RAM -
> > 100Mb Network)

> > When Delphi or any Delphi app or even Interbase Console tries to connect
> > the database it takes between 30 seconds and a minute. Once it is
> connected
> > it runs like a dream.

> > Whe shared some directories on the linux server and tried to connect and
> > copy files to see if it could be a server / network problem. The
> connection
> > took only a second or two and files copied as one would expect on a
100Mb
> > network.

> > We thought it could be a DNS problem so we replaced the host name with
an
> IP
> > address and also added the server name and ip to the hosts file just in
> > case. Then we used SQL Monitor and confirmed that it was the connect
that
> is
> > responsible for the delay.

> > We tried it with Shema Cache enabled and disabled, still the same
results.

> > Does anyone have any ideas?

> > Thanks
> > Gertjie Steyn