Am I doing something wrong?

Or is db Express/TSQLClientDataSet really this slow?

In converting an app to DB Express, I'm using TSQLClientDataSets to populate
some TDBLookupComboxBoxes. It works, but it's extremely slow. With half a
dozen of these, the form takes a full minute to load (there is also a
TSQLClientDataSet-supplied grid).

Re:Am I doing something wrong?

Try running the six queries and see how long that takes. The ClientDataSets
should not be slow.

--
Bill

Re:Am I doing something wrong?

In IBConsole they are almost instantaneous - most of them are just a handful
of records.

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" <bill_nos...@dbginc.com> wrote in message

> Try running the six queries and see how long that takes. The
ClientDataSets
> should not be slow.

> --
> Bill
> (TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)

Re:Am I doing something wrong?

I don't know what the cause is. I have not seen this but I always use
separate SQLDataSet, Provider and ClientDataSet components.

--
Bill

Re:Am I doing something wrong?

I replaced the TSQLClientDataSet components with TSQLDataSet, and set the
NoMetaData property to True, and that, like the road less traveled, has made
"all the difference".

> I don't know what the cause is. I have not seen this but I always use
> separate SQLDataSet, Provider and ClientDataSet components.

> --
> Bill
> (TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)

Re:Am I doing something wrong?

Setting the PacketRecords property of the CDS', though, helped a lot. It is
now, although not a cheetah, also no sloth.

> I replaced the TSQLClientDataSet components with TSQLDataSet, and set the
> NoMetaData property to True, and that, like the road less traveled, has
made
> "all the difference".

> "Bill Todd (TeamB)" <bill_nos...@dbginc.com> wrote in message
> > I don't know what the cause is. I have not seen this but I always use
> > separate SQLDataSet, Provider and ClientDataSet components.

> > --
> > Bill
> > (TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)

Re:Am I doing something wrong?

Remember that setting CDS.PacketRecords > 0 makes your appserver stateful.
This may/may not matter for your app.

If setting PacketRecords > 0 speeds up your app conciderably, your
definition of 'a handful of records' might be different to mine :-)

There are ways you can speed up multiple dataset retrieval from an
appserver. Have a look in the archives under my name and probably OwnerData
in the subject/message.
HTH
--
Dave Rowntree

> Setting the PacketRecords property of the CDS', though, helped a lot. It
is
> now, although not a cheetah, also no sloth.

Other Threads