About the DDE connection between Delphi 2.0 and Delphi 1.0

Hi, every friends,
     I come from Shanghai, China. Our company have a project for
Shnaghai Post & Telecommunication. We use Delphi 2.0 C/S suite as the
Database developing tools. It works well. However, we must create a
16-bit program to communicate with each other via X.25 network, Delphi
2.0 can't communicate with the 16-bit DLL of X.25 pakages directly, so I
choose Delphi 1.0 as the tool and use DDE as the communicating channel
between the two programs. Unfortunately, though I follow the steps and
hints by the help, I couldn't make it possible to connect successfully
with each other. I use windows 95 as my developing platform, what's
wrong with the DDE components?
     I wonder someone would help me with this. If so, please contact me
at the mailbox: kevin...@yahoo.com. I apprecaite you very much!

     Best regards

     Kevin

Re:About the DDE connection between Delphi 2.0 and Delphi 1.0

Hi,
  I haven't tried it, but what you could do is use MemoryMappedFiles in
order to enable
    communication between the applications ( This is a Win95 feature - not a
Delphi one so
    you should be able to use it from either D1 and D2 ).
  This memory mapped files technique comes instead of the miserable DDE tech
( You'll be
    very fortunate if DDE works for you ).
  Another issue is calling 16-Bit dll code from 32-Bit code. This is
something you can
   achieve by a process called THUNKING.
  Take a look in the Win32 help file for MemoryMappedFile - CreateFile,
      CreateFileMapping, MapViewOfFile etc.
  The THUNKING process should appear also in the help and as far as I
remember
   Dr BOB's site ( http://www.drbob42.com/ ) has an article on that issue.

Hope it helps,
  Eyal Hirsch.

Re:About the DDE connection between Delphi 2.0 and Delphi 1.0

If you are doing any serious amount of DDE work then can I suggest that
you take a look at our own DDE component - 'Django'.

'Django' is a full implementation of all DDE functions delivered in a
single powerful but easy to deploy component.  It is available across
all 16 and 32 bit versions of Delphi.

You can download an evaluation version from our web site...

   http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/estate/ns21/icfmdc.htm

Regards,

        .... ICFM Software

Zhou Yi wrote:
> Hi, every friends,
>      I come from Shanghai, China. Our company have a project for
> Shnaghai Post & Telecommunication. We use Delphi 2.0 C/S suite as the
> Database developing tools. It works well. However, we must create a
> 16-bit program to communicate with each other via X.25 network, Delphi
> 2.0 can't communicate with the 16-bit DLL of X.25 pakages directly, so I
> choose Delphi 1.0 as the tool and use DDE as the communicating channel
> between the two programs. Unfortunately, though I follow the steps and
> hints by the help, I couldn't make it possible to connect successfully
> with each other. I use windows 95 as my developing platform, what's
> wrong with the DDE components?
>      I wonder someone would help me with this. If so, please contact me
> at the mailbox: kevin...@yahoo.com. I apprecaite you very much!

>      Best regards

>      Kevin

The Delphi 1 the DDE components work well but in the later versions there
are some bugs. In Delphi 3 some messages seem to get lost and the DDE
connection appears to stop working. I assume the same bugs are with Delphi
2.

I needed to use DDE with Delphi 3 and solved the bug problems in DDEMAN.PAS
by using a replacement DDEMAN.PAS from the Delphi Bug at
http://www.dataweb.nl/~r.p.sterkenburg/generated/vcl-System.htm#VCL - DDE -
Solutions Luca Ridarelli

Other Threads