Help! - Blocking records in local network Paradox databases

I urgently need an answer for the following question :

What do I need to do to share my Paradox database in local network, with
record blocking?
My system is WIN 98.

I have mapped the necessary network drives pointing to the database location
(e.g. E:\myProg\data).

 I run other copy of a program on each node on the local network, and I set
each table:TTable
    table.DatabaseName := 'E:\myProg\Data';

Everything seems to work fine - I have an acces from each network computer
to the database, I can look at the data etc.
BUT : when I want to change the same record in one table from two different
network locations, BDE doesn't block the records,
so I can even do the changes pararelly (both nodes are editing, or deleting
the same record, with no blockings or even warning) and
the database is damaged.

According to the manual, to share a database in a local network with
"pesimistic blocking", I need to define :
    Session.NetFileDir := 'directory where the network control file of BDE
exists'. (pdoxuser.net) - this file governs the sharing of Paradox
tables on network drives. I defined it as Session.NetFileDir :=<mapped
drive> for each network node.

If I run the same program in two copies on the same computer, and try to
modify the same record, BDE can block it by raising exceptions. However,
these exceptions aren't raised when e.g. editing the database from two
different local network locations.

Re:Help! - Blocking records in local network Paradox databases

> What do I need to do to share my Paradox database in local network, with
> record blocking?
> My system is WIN 98.

most easy is mapping the net-dir as UNC like this

\\server\users\data\pdoxnet

also make sure that local share is set to true on all clients; it ensures
that all data is written to the physical table at once...

--
==============
kees lagendijk

visit www.casema.net/~kens for free components

"messing things up is easy,
  but to create chaos you need a computer..."

Re:Help! - Blocking records in local network Paradox databases

Hi, Andrzej.

This is not make thus.

If you want to have database who is shared in local network, you must have
TDatabase component and all tables and querys to work with him.

That BDE can control collision and make record blocking.

Look at www.borland.com TI for more details.

Regard.
--
Petio Tonev
pto...@mmltd.net

[...]

That DBE can control collision and make record blocking.

Look at www.borland.com TI for more details.

Regard.
--
Petio Tonev
pto...@mmltd.net

Re:Help! - Blocking records in local network Paradox databases

Hi, Andrzej.

This is not make thus.

If you want to have database who is shared in local network, you must have
TDatabase component and all tables and querys to work with him.

That BDE can control collision and make record blocking.

Look at www.borland.com TI for more details.

Regard.
--
Petio Tonev