problem upsizing pdox memo fields to mssql

Dear newsgroup,

what does this error message
"Readtext and writetext commands may not be used with views."
received this after upsizing paradox tables with memo fields to mssql v6.5
i never created a "view" on the mssql server.  using ttable components to
access
tables.

Any assistance on what this means would be greatly appreciated.

Delphi v4 Srv. Pk 3
Sql Srv v6.5 (6.50.201)

(see scenario below to chart my footsteps)
========================
I just recently upsized my network application using pdox 5.0 tables
to mssql v6.5.  the memo fields of my network application was/is
working fine.  when i used the data pump, D4 client/server version,
all of my memo fields were converted to text fields in the mssql.

After the upsize, I placed the necessary Tdatabase component in my
data module and pointed all data access components to this one
tdatabase component.  Everything okay so far.  All queries I performed
using standard sql w/ the tquery component were converted to stored
procedures on the database server.  I then used the tstoreproc component
in my data module.  Everything okay so far.

Now, access to my tables, now in mssql server, is using the standard ttable
component.  Everything is working fine except on the three data-entry
screens
in which I have memo fields I am getting the error message "Readtext and
writetext commands may not be used with views." when I attempt to open
that dataset through the form.  i.e. When I create the data entry form and
attempt
to make the dataset active this error message occures. Now, I never created
on the sql server.  I am using a ttable component to access the table on the
database server.

I noticed this error message only occurs on tables that have mssql text
fields
in them.  While viewing thru sql monitor I noticed that it fetches all
fields of the
record except the text field.  and when it does the BDE Error -- General SQL
Error
occurs.  On the sql size General SQl error - "Readtext and writetext
commands..."

I chose not to use tqueries because of the overhead of
updating/synchronizing/etc..
associated with updatesql.  However, I noticed if i perform a select to
retrieve the
record the form opens fine with the text data placed in the proper field.
Ummm!
I am baffled about this because I never created a view on the server.  Yet,
I am
getting the sql error about views.

Any assistance or explanation in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

  --Chris Knight
    cdni...@electro-net.com

Re:problem upsizing pdox memo fields to mssql

Other Threads