Using Borland Database Enqine to Access SQL Server?

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with a 16 bit delphi application connected to an SQL
Server 6.5 database running on Windows NT. I'm trying to move the
database to a new server but It just won't connect.

The scenario is:

1. All databases currently running on a server, call it (current_server),
running NT 3.51 and configured as a Primary Domain Controller.

1. Build a new NT server using NT4, configure it as a backup domain
controller and call it (temporary_server).

2. Backup and restore all databases from (current_server) to
(temporary_server)

3. Rename (current_server) as (old_server). Check the configuration in NT
using server manager.

4. Remove (temporary_server) from the domain. Rename it to
(current_server) and add it back to the domain.

5. Wait 15 mins for the domain to resync (just in case)

The delphi application should now be looking at the data on the new
server, right?

Wrong. Although BDE config says "get this data from the
(current_server)", it still accesses the database now on (old_server).

beats me! Any suggestions greatfully received.

Sid/

Re:Using Borland Database Enqine to Access SQL Server?

Try either turning off or cutting the link between servers and whatever program
alias or ??? on the error list needs to be re-routed.  You might try just doing
save as for all the databases on the new server's drive.

>Hi all,

>I'm having a problem with a 16 bit delphi application connected to an SQL
>Server 6.5 database running on Windows NT. I'm trying to move the
>database to a new server but It just won't connect.

>The scenario is:

>1. All databases currently running on a server, call it (current_server),
>running NT 3.51 and configured as a Primary Domain Controller.

>1. Build a new NT server using NT4, configure it as a backup domain
>controller and call it (temporary_server).

>2. Backup and restore all databases from (current_server) to
>(temporary_server)

>3. Rename (current_server) as (old_server). Check the configuration in NT
>using server manager.

>4. Remove (temporary_server) from the domain. Rename it to
>(current_server) and add it back to the domain.

>5. Wait 15 mins for the domain to resync (just in case)

>The delphi application should now be looking at the data on the new
>server, right?

>Wrong. Although BDE config says "get this data from the
>(current_server)", it still accesses the database now on (old_server).

>beats me! Any suggestions greatfully received.

>Sid/

  Charles

Other Threads