Which Pascal compiler for learning?

Hi.
I have a friend that is going to start teaching an introduction to
programming to 15 years old {*word*249}agers.
Which is a nice compiler for this work?
Better if it's free, and I guess it would be better if it has an IDE and a
nice help...

Sorry for my poor English. Thanks.

Re:Which Pascal compiler for learning?

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 04:07:08 +0100, "XPG" <jd...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I have a friend that is going to start teaching an introduction to
>programming to 15 years old {*word*249}agers.
>Which is a nice compiler for this work?
>Better if it's free, and I guess it would be better if it has an IDE and a
>nice help...

I recomend Turbo Pascal 5.5, which is available as a free download
from Borland.  Their website is www.borland.com, look for the museum.

XPG wrote:

> I have a friend that is going to start teaching an introduction to
> programming to 15 years old {*word*249}agers.
> Which is a nice compiler for this work?
> Better if it's free, and I guess it would be better if it has an IDE and a
> nice help...

GPC is available for DJGPP, together with RHIDE.  It will compile
both the TP5.5 patois and ISO standard (or Extended ISO) Pascal.
Much better to use something that meets the standard than
something with significant omissions.

--
Chuck F (cbfalco...@yahoo.com) (cbfalco...@XXXXworldnet.att.net)
   (Remove "XXXX" from reply address. yahoo works unmodified)

Jan Philips wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 04:07:08 +0100, "XPG" <jd...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>I have a friend that is going to start teaching an introduction to
>>programming to 15 years old {*word*249}agers.
>>Which is a nice compiler for this work?
>>Better if it's free, and I guess it would be better if it has an IDE and a
>>nice help...

> I recomend Turbo Pascal 5.5, which is available as a free download
> from Borland.  Their website is www.borland.com, look for the museum.

the french version of tp7 is at www.borland.fr and has a much better IDE...

Re:Which Pascal compiler for learning?

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 09:12:59 +0100, Markus Humm

<markus.h...@freenet.de> wrote:
>the french version of tp7 is at www.borland.fr and has a much better IDE...

I kind of preferred the TP 5.5 IDE over the TP 6 and 7 IDE.  I bought
TP 6 and didn't use it because I liked 5.5 better.  When BP 7 came
out, I had to use that for large projects, but for years I continued
to use 5.5 for small projects.

Try Free Pascal, www.freepascal.org .

XPG wrote:

> Hi.
> I have a friend that is going to start teaching an introduction to
> programming to 15 years old {*word*249}agers.
> Which is a nice compiler for this work?
> Better if it's free, and I guess it would be better if it has an IDE and a
> nice help...

FPC have a good documenrtation,and it's modern compiler and it's FREE :),
U can find also a dozen of newbies tutorials for pascal on internet.

Re:Which Pascal compiler for learning?

Thanks to all.
I'll try those compilers.

Re:Which Pascal compiler for learning?

I've tried it - it's great so far.  Where are the freepascal newsgroups (I
must be missing something...).

James

In article <jUAg8.32485$ZC3.2650...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, James wrote:
> I've tried it - it's great so far.  Where are the freepascal newsgroups (I
> must be missing something...).

This is the correct NG, but most traffic is on the maillists. See the site
for more info.

Other Threads