How to turn off the cursor

Hey Everyone!
   Does anyone out there know how to turn the cursor off in Pascal programs? I
suspect that it involves some kind of assembler, but I don't know any :-) If
anyone could help, it would be much appreciated.

Jim

Re:How to turn off the cursor

In article <7c1aep$ld...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
 <James_dar...@hotmail.com> wrote:

:   Does anyone out there know how to turn the cursor off in Pascal programs? I

 21) How do I turn the cursor off?

 161616 Jan 31 1999 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsfaqp.zip
 tsfaqp.zip Common Turbo Pascal Questions and Timo's answers, linked

   All the best, Timo

Moderating at ftp:// & http://garbo.uwasa.fi/ archives 193.166.120.5

Spam foiling in effect.  My email filter autoresponder will return a
required email password to users not yet in the privileges database.
Advice on spam foiling at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/spamfoil.html

Re:How to turn off the cursor

Quoting a message by James_dar...@hotmail.com in comp.lang.pascal.borland:

>   Does anyone out there know how to turn the cursor off in Pascal programs? I
>suspect that it involves some kind of assembler, but I don't know any :-) If
>anyone could help, it would be much appreciated.

I don't either - so I had to trust that these procedures (given to me)
would;

A) Work, and
B) Not write to sector 0 of my HDD :>

procedure CursorOff; assembler;
asm
  mov ah, $01
  mov cx, $FFFF
  int $10
end;

procedure CursorOn; assembler;
asm
  mov ah, $01
  mov cx, 1543
  int $10

= Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath)
= Web: http://sprk.com/blackdeath ICQ UIN: 3484915
= Remove 'thir{*word*249}' to reply privately

... {*word*118} Psychic Caught in Fire - Rare Medium Well-Done
-!- GOPGP/2 v1.21

Re:How to turn off the cursor

JRS:  In article <CqD52kwGqF/Q09...@13usa.net> of Mon, 8 Mar 1999
21:13:13 in news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, Stewart Honsberger

<s_honsber...@13usa.net> wrote:
>Quoting a message by James_dar...@hotmail.com in comp.lang.pascal.borland:
>>   Does anyone out there know how to turn the cursor off in Pascal programs? I
>>suspect that it involves some kind of assembler, but I don't know any :-) If
>>anyone could help, it would be much appreciated.

>I don't either - so I had to trust that these procedures (given to me)
>would;

>A) Work, and
>B) Not write to sector 0 of my HDD :>

>procedure CursorOff; assembler;
>asm
>  mov ah, $01
>  mov cx, $FFFF
>  int $10
>end;

>procedure CursorOn; assembler;
>asm
>  mov ah, $01
>  mov cx, 1543
>  int $10
>end;

>--

DSS.

It's not a good idea to give a non-understood, inferior answer to a
question that Timo's FAQ answers - please be more thoughtful.  Yours
hard-codes the "restored" cursor - 1543 = $0607, and I believe that's
the setting used on EGA, lines 6-7; I believe 13-14 is default on VGA,
but the user may not be using the default.

The correct method, except on certain old hardware, is to read the
cursor setting with 10/03, set the "$20" bit in CH, and set the cursor
with 10/01; to restore, clear the bit.

--
John Stockton, Surrey, UK.    j...@merlyn.demon.co.uk    Turnpike v4.00    MIME.
  Web <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - TP/BP/&c. FAQqish topics & links.

Re:How to turn off the cursor

Quoting a message by Dr John Stockton <j...@merlyn.demon.co.uk> in
comp.lang.pascal.borland:

>>I don't either - so I had to trust that these procedures (given to me)
>>would;

[...]

>DSS.

What?

>It's not a good idea to give a non-understood, inferior answer to a
>question that Timo's FAQ answers - please be more thoughtful.

Pardon me for not living in Timo's FAQ. Beleive it or not, there are
things in life that don't revolve around Timo's precious FAQ :>

>The correct method, except on certain old hardware, is to read the
>cursor setting with 10/03, set the "$20" bit in CH, and set the cursor
>with 10/01; to restore, clear the bit.

Is this supposed to;

Show me how to do this properly,
or make you feel superior?

You must have missed the part where I said that I know nothing of ASM.
If you would be so good as to enlighten me with some actual source code
that does what you speak of, it might be of some use to me.

--

= Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath)
= Web: http://sprk.com/blackdeath ICQ UIN: 3484915
= Remove 'thir{*word*249}' to reply privately

... I'm feeling argumentative. Please contradict me.
-!- GOPGP/2 v1.21

Re:How to turn off the cursor

JRS:  In article <oSb52kwGqpPC09...@13usa.net> of Wed, 10 Mar 1999
00:18:55 in news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, Stewart Honsberger

<s_honsber...@13usa.net> wrote:
>Quoting a message by Dr John Stockton <j...@merlyn.demon.co.uk> in
>comp.lang.pascal.borland:

>>>I don't either - so I had to trust that these procedures (given to me)
>>>would;
>[...]

>>DSS.

>What?

It's an acronym.  Duff Signature Separator.  Some of my Sigs indicate
that I have an acronyms list on the Web; it's accessible via the default
page.  Some of my Sigs explain that the standard is "-- " on a line of
its own, the trailing space being an essential part.  Microsoft did not
realise this; but you appear not to be using a Microsoft newsreader.

>>It's not a good idea to give a non-understood, inferior answer to a
>>question that Timo's FAQ answers - please be more thoughtful.

>Pardon me for not living in Timo's FAQ. Beleive it or not, there are
>things in life that don't revolve around Timo's precious FAQ :>

However, if you were to demean yourself as far as to study it, you might
manage to look less of a fool than it seems you really are.  It is a
seminal document.  One can understand newcomers briefly being unfamiliar
with it; but you have been around far too long for that.  Remember what
Sir Isaac reputedly said about the shoulders of giants.

>>The correct method, except on certain old hardware, is to read the
>>cursor setting with 10/03, set the "$20" bit in CH, and set the cursor
>>with 10/01; to restore, clear the bit.

>Is this supposed to;

>Show me how to do this properly,
>or make you feel superior?

>You must have missed the part where I said that I know nothing of ASM.
>If you would be so good as to enlighten me with some actual source code
>that does what you speak of, it might be of some use to me.

Read the FAQ, item 21.  Or my web page pascal.htm.  ASM is not needed,
though, if you know enough to use the Registers type and the standard
Intr procedure, as is done in the FAQ; but, if you want it, pascal.htm.

--
John Stockton, Surrey, UK.    j...@merlyn.demon.co.uk    Turnpike v4.00    MIME.
  Web <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - TP/BP/&c. FAQqish topics & links.

Re:How to turn off the cursor

> Please everyone consider a few facets of a FAQ.

> 1) In a sense in a TP related newsgroup life _does_ revolve around a
> TP FAQ by the very definition. A FAQ, precious or otherwise, covers
> what most frequently has come up in the newsgroup.

   Absolutely!

> 2) Asking a FAQ question is not a bad thing. Besides how else could
> a FAQ become a FAQ. Some patience please. E.g. we will continue to
> have RTE 200 problem questions indefinitely. This may annoy some,
> since it is indeed a number one FAQ currently. However, I prefer
> just to point to the information without recriminations. There is no
> need to make anyone feel silly.

   I can't completely agree, because I believe there should be _some_
responsibility on the part of posters to (1) look around the NG before
jumping in with some desperate plea and (2) be aware that (at least one)
FAQ exists.  If we allow a culture which an expectation that every
question will immediately be answered with reasonable, complete, wholly
polite answers, I'd foresee one where no (young) person would bother to:
attend classes, read texts and other material, feel obliged to do _any_
work whatsoever...other than to yell for help.
   Think of the impact on teachers and learning institutions: why do any
work whatsoever, when the 'Net is there to provide all the answers, for
free, for the mere asking?  Why should governments and cultures invest in
educational systems, when every question will be answered on the
Internet...with no effort required other than to post a question?
   But who's going to be here to provide the answers?  For my part, if I
were to see some of my favorite and useful NGs degenerate to being
cluttered with (only) repetitions of FAQ material, I'm not going to waste
my time and energy looking for information I can use, nor would I wish to
repeat the same drivel over and over and over...
   No, I think it's sometimes best to "hit 'em between the eyes" with the
cold, hard facts of 'Net life: posters should make use of the
(substantial) facilities which already exist, to assure you're not
cluttering an already overloaded Internet with stuff which has been
covered and (re)covered ad infinitum...
   Perhaps I've done more than my share of being "curt and frank", but
I'm trying to make others who may be watching/lurking think a bit before
they post in haste.  There are others (whom I greatly respect) who do the
same...

> 3) If frequent questions are only answered by references to the FAQ,
> the answers on the newsgroup won't evolve. Please recall that as
> long as a subject and a response is on topic, it is totally valid to
> post and to respond in any relevant on-topic manner on the Usenet
> news. Irrespective of whether the FAQ happens to have a different or
> even a better answer.

   Isn't there a point when you (or someone) feels the FAQ needs to be
updated with a (new) subject item?  Clearly, that point was reached by
the 100+ separate items in your FAQ...so it seems to be working quite
well, I'd say.  Nonetheless, I think more people should be aware of and
be using your FAQ (and Pedt's, too) than currently do.  If someone is
turned off by "getting slapped", perhaps they need that particular
lesson.
   Also, if they don't know about the user manuals and online help (and
they possess legal software), isn't telling them to RTFM useful advice?
(And if they have pirated software, I'm not at all interested in "being
nice"...)

> Let's select freely our own modes of responding.

   I'm not sure what you're saying here...8<}}

Re:How to turn off the cursor

> Pardon me for not living in Timo's FAQ. Beleive it or not, there are
> things in life that don't revolve around Timo's precious FAQ

Please everyone consider a few facets of a FAQ.

1) In a sense in a TP related newsgroup life _does_ revolve around a
TP FAQ by the very definition. A FAQ, precious or otherwise, covers
what most frequently has come up in the newsgroup.

2) Asking a FAQ question is not a bad thing. Besides how else could
a FAQ become a FAQ. Some patience please. E.g. we will continue to
have RTE 200 problem questions indefinitely. This may annoy some,
since it is indeed a number one FAQ currently. However, I prefer
just to point to the information without recriminations. There is no
need to make anyone feel silly.

3) If frequent questions are only answered by references to the FAQ,
the answers on the newsgroup won't evolve. Please recall that as
long as a subject and a response is on topic, it is totally valid to
post and to respond in any relevant on-topic manner on the Usenet
news. Irrespective of whether the FAQ happens to have a different or
even a better answer.

Let's select freely our own modes of responding.

   All the best, Timo

Moderating at ftp:// & http://garbo.uwasa.fi/ archives 193.166.120.5

Spam foiling in effect.  My email filter autoresponder will return a
required email password to users not yet in the privileges database.
Advice on spam foiling at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/spamfoil.html

Re:How to turn off the cursor

Quoting a message by mrc...@primenet.com (Mike Copeland) in
comp.lang.pascal.borland:

>   Perhaps I've done more than my share of being "curt and frank",

This is my point. I don't mind if you reccomend that someone read the
FAQ, in fact - I'm all for it. But things like;

"FAQ! FAQ! F-A-Q! Try it, you'll like it!"

are nothing more than counter-productive. For every one of those
messages, we have atleast one less poster, and quite likely several less
lurkers.

What news client do you use? I'm sorry, I didn't get a look to see if
there was an X-NEWSREADER kludge in your message.

Irregardless, how difficult is it to import a file into a posting? Let's
say, in a small text file, you were to put something along the lines of;

"This is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) in this group.

It is considered to be good "netiquette" to read the FAQ for a newsgroup
before you post a question to it.

This group has several FAQ's for you to choose from.

<FAQ URL #1>
<FAQ URL #2>
<...>"

(Or something along those lines, of course. I'm not very eloquent at
11PM).

When someone posts a FAQ, such as the (in)famous RTE200 question, you
quote the one or two lines where the ask the question, import the file,
your signature is added, and viola! You've helped the person out, and
it'll have likely taken less time than it would take you to come up with
some form of vulgar remark to say to the person, and type it out
manually.

Hey, maybe you could even write a program to randomly select from a
variety of different text files, maybe even different text files
according to the nature of the message!

Informative messages for legitimate questions, witty retorts to
inquiries of pirated software (that will likely go straight over the
head of the poster, ideally).

Food for thought.

--

= Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath)
= Web: http://sprk.com/blackdeath ICQ UIN: 3484915
= Remove 'thir{*word*249}' to reply privately

... A great deal of money - once you have it - is never enough
-!- GOPGP/2 v1.21

Re:How to turn off the cursor

JRS:  In article <I/I62kwGqN8L09...@13usa.net> of Fri, 12 Mar 1999
04:07:46 in news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, Stewart Honsberger

<s_honsber...@13usa.net> wrote:
>It is considered to be good "netiquette" to read the FAQ for a newsgroup
>before you post a question to it.

That is true; though only an optimist nowadays expects manners from the
young.

The URL of the FAQ, and maybe the section number, should suffice for an
answer.

However, it is really rather important to read the FAQ for a newsgroup
before answering any question in it.

General advice on using News is in  ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsfaqn.
zip, though I can't locate that point from a rapid scan of its indexes.

--

Dr John Stockton wrote:
> [...]
> However, it is really rather important to read the FAQ for a newsgroup
> before answering any question in it.

(Do you mean "asking" in place of "answering" here?)

But isn't it more or less a standard feature that nearly EVERY newsreader has
initial subscriptions to groups like news.announce.newusers, news.answers, and
news.newusers.questions?  Maybe there would be a few newbies who at least
*appeared* intelligent by heeding these groups, looking them over, and
possibly even pick up helpful bits of information like what a "FAQ" is.
Common sense isn't really so common after all, is it?

When I started in newsgroups in '92, I had the decency to lurk for a while and
actually understand how groups worked before I started contributing.  I don't
know, perhaps I'm an "old school" snob now.  IMHO, anyone who posts to a
newsgroup without knowing what FAQ means isn't ready to be posting yet.  Add
to that the "serve me now,{*word*222}the community" attitude of many first-time
posters, and I have *no* sympathy for anyone who posts such a message and gets
one or more curt replies saying, "Read the FAQ."

Good grief, it doesn't take a herculean effort to spend a few extra minutes to
look in n.a.n (which every new user should be subscribed to by default anyhow)
and read the intro pages, and more interesting articles like "Emily Postnews"
-- documents which have been written to be clear, helpful, informative, and
interesting.

> --
> John Stockton, Surrey, UK.    j...@merlyn.demon.co.uk    Turnpike v4.00    MIME.
>   Web <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - TP/BP/&c. FAQqish topics & links.
>   Timo's TurboPascal <A HREF="ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsfaqp.zip">FAQ</A>.
>   <A HREF="http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/clpb-faq.txt">Mini-FAQ</A> of c.l.p.b.

Re:How to turn off the cursor

JRS:  In article <36EA29E4.262B68B0@_ix.netcom.com> of Sat, 13 Mar 1999
04:03:32 in news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, Scott Earnest

<setech@_ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>Dr John Stockton wrote:

>> [...]
>> However, it is really rather important to read the FAQ for a newsgroup
>> before answering any question in it.

>(Do you mean "asking" in place of "answering" here?)

No.

Although, changed as you suggest, it would still be true.

But it is better to (make a fool of oneself) than to ((make a fool of
oneself) and (deceive others by posting a sub-standard answer)).