Field '' is of unknown type

Has anybody come across this problem in D3 or know how to get round it. I am
trying to insert the following string into an SQLServer database using
Passthrough SQL:
INSERT INTO Table1 VALUES (1, 'SIZE: 38" X 48" X 56" STATUS: OK')
D3 will not allow this and gives the error 'Field '' is of unknnown type'.
The error, strangely, only seems to occur if the string contains an odd
number of double quotes which are followed by a colon!!?? I presume that D3
is thinking that I'm trying to pass a parameter to the query, but I'm not.
How can I get this string into the database exactly as it is ????