DCOM Server auto start (Server Execution Failed)

I made a little Client / Server application with DCOM and I have
problems with starting the server automaticaly on a remote machine. On
a local machine the server will start automatically when I have
started the server once. This is no problem.

When I try this on a remote machine, I first start the server to
registry some settings in the registry. Now I close the server
application and when the client does do a CreateRemoteComObject, with
the correct machine name, the error message appear "Server Execution
Failed" after a few seconds. I tried several things but it doesn't
work. I changed some security settings in the dcomcnfg.exe and I tried
it with administrator rights, but none of these helped.

Do I need administrator rights to start a server application with a
DCOM client on another machine?

I hope that someone can help me with it. Is there something I forgot
to configure?

Wilfred Bos.

Re:DCOM Server auto start (Server Execution Failed)

Hi,

You can only start Server ActiveX programs automatically on Win NT,
Win 95 does not support this function becouse of authorisation.

Santana.

Wilfred Bos wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>I made a little Client / Server application with DCOM and I have
>problems with starting the server automaticaly on a remote machine. On
>a local machine the server will start automatically when I have
>started the server once. This is no problem.
>I hope that someone can help me with it. Is there something I forgot
>to configure?

>Wilfred Bos.

Re:DCOM Server auto start (Server Execution Failed)

We ran into the same problem a while back

Items to check,
1.  The server must be an NT machine to autostart a COM server.  You can
connect to an open remote COM object on a Win95 server, but you can not
start one remotely.

2.  Make sure you have the latest version of DCOM installed on both
machines.

I can't remember what else we may have tried.  I hope this helps.

Eric

Wilfred Bos <[email protected]> wrote in article
<[email protected]>...

> I made a little Client / Server application with DCOM and I have
> problems with starting the server automaticaly on a remote machine. On
> a local machine the server will start automatically when I have
> started the server once. This is no problem.

> When I try this on a remote machine, I first start the server to
> registry some settings in the registry. Now I close the server
> application and when the client does do a CreateRemoteComObject, with
> the correct machine name, the error message appear "Server Execution
> Failed" after a few seconds. I tried several things but it doesn't
> work. I changed some security settings in the dcomcnfg.exe and I tried
> it with administrator rights, but none of these helped.

> Do I need administrator rights to start a server application with a
> DCOM client on another machine?

> I hope that someone can help me with it. Is there something I forgot
> to configure?

> Wilfred Bos.

Re:DCOM Server auto start (Server Execution Failed)

Thanks for the reply.

I use a Windows NT Workstation 4.0 machine for the client and for the
server. Or do I have to use Windows NT Server for running the DCOM
server?

Service Pack 3 is installed. What else do I have to install to get the
latest version of DCOM?

I tried to log in as administrator on both client and server machine.
Is it important that the server has at least the same user rights as
the client?

Wilfred Bos.

On 21 Apr 1998 12:29:38 GMT, "Eric Johnson" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>We ran into the same problem a while back

>Items to check,
>1.  The server must be an NT machine to autostart a COM server.  You can
>connect to an open remote COM object on a Win95 server, but you can not
>start one remotely.

>2.  Make sure you have the latest version of DCOM installed on both
>machines.

>I can't remember what else we may have tried.  I hope this helps.

>Eric

>Wilfred Bos <[email protected]> wrote in article
><[email protected]>...
>> I made a little Client / Server application with DCOM and I have
>> problems with starting the server automaticaly on a remote machine. On
>> a local machine the server will start automatically when I have
>> started the server once. This is no problem.

>> When I try this on a remote machine, I first start the server to
>> registry some settings in the registry. Now I close the server
>> application and when the client does do a CreateRemoteComObject, with
>> the correct machine name, the error message appear "Server Execution
>> Failed" after a few seconds. I tried several things but it doesn't
>> work. I changed some security settings in the dcomcnfg.exe and I tried
>> it with administrator rights, but none of these helped.

>> Do I need administrator rights to start a server application with a
>> DCOM client on another machine?

>> I hope that someone can help me with it. Is there something I forgot
>> to configure?

>> Wilfred Bos.

Re:DCOM Server auto start (Server Execution Failed)

I am fairly certain that NT workstation is fine, and Service Pack 3 should
take care of the latest COM version.  I have never had any problems with
user rights.

Wilfred Bos <[email protected]> wrote in article
<[email protected]>...

> Thanks for the reply.

> I use a Windows NT Workstation 4.0 machine for the client and for the
> server. Or do I have to use Windows NT Server for running the DCOM
> server?

> Service Pack 3 is installed. What else do I have to install to get the
> latest version of DCOM?

> I tried to log in as administrator on both client and server machine.
> Is it important that the server has at least the same user rights as
> the client?

> Wilfred Bos.

Re:DCOM Server auto start (Server Execution Failed)

I'm have this problem too.
1.ping pass normal
2.server application running on Win NT
3.client applet runner on Wint NT normal
Still client applet don't running on client mashine Win95
Server Execution Failed;
But in DComCfg set running Server applet local, client applet runnig normal.
Using sample x:\delphi\demos\midas\EmpEdit

Other Threads