BDE merge module erase "old" aliases

Hi !

If there is an old version of the BDE (ex. version 5.0) and I install my
application that use the BDE 5.2 MSI, it erases all the existing
aliases. Installshield states that it is a Borland issue with the 5.2
BDE. Is there any way I can prevent the BDE merge module version to
erase old aliases when installing my application (a parameter or such)???

-Kurt

Re:BDE merge module erase "old" aliases

I have not seen this behaviour.  (But I use Wise rather than InstallShield).  I would suspect that it is a case where your aliases
are in you idapi.cfg file.  If the create date and modified date of this file are equal, then the file will get replaced when the
install runs.  (The installer assumes this is non-modified user data so it updates it).  You could have the users edit the idapi.cfg
file before they run the install, or you could modify attributes field of the component that contains this file so that it never
replaces the file if it already exists.  Since the Merge Module will get re-merged every time you rebuild your install you'll have
to make sure that you edit this component attribute everytime you rebuild your install.
"Kurt Bilde" <k...@sam.sdu.dk> wrote in message news:3E524AA3.60507@sam.sdu.dk...
> Hi !

> If there is an old version of the BDE (ex. version 5.0) and I install my
> application that use the BDE 5.2 MSI, it erases all the existing
> aliases. Installshield states that it is a Borland issue with the 5.2
> BDE. Is there any way I can prevent the BDE merge module version to
> erase old aliases when installing my application (a parameter or such)???

> -Kurt

Re:BDE merge module erase "old" aliases

Hi Chris !

Good and understandable answer!!! Thank you very much for sharing !

-Kurt

Re:BDE merge module erase "old" aliases

No problem.  There's a few problems with the BDE Merge Module, especially if you're using the enterprise version.  Check out my
thread, "Help w/ the BDE Merge Module" from Jan 29 2003.  Some of what's in there may be relevant to you.

Chris Pettingill wrote:
> thread, "Help w/ the BDE Merge Module" from Jan 29 2003.  Some of what's in there may be relevant to you.

Yes indeed !!! Thank you !

-Kurt

Other Threads