Sending messages to other PC's

I can't believe that nobody has done this before: how can I send a message
to my application on another machine and vice versa, like you can do in
QUAKE or any other network game.

Thanks

Gilles Baatsen

Re:Sending messages to other PC's

Gilles Baatsen wrote:
> I can't believe that nobody has done this before: how can I send a
> message
> to my application on another machine and vice versa, like you can do
> in
> QUAKE or any other network game.

> Thanks

> Gilles Baatsen

   I use TCP/IP.  Get a component(s) called dWinsock.  (Search the web,
its comes up pretty quick)  The component installs for all versions of
Delphi and has excellent example programs.

Mark.

Gilles Baatsen wrote:
> I can't believe that nobody has done this before: how can I send a message
> to my application on another machine and vice versa, like you can do in
> QUAKE or any other network game.

Use the "mailslot"-functions (more information inside the WIN32.HLP).

beni

Re:Sending messages to other PC's

In article <01bd3ac8$e28eee10$6464a8c0@gba_pc>, gbaat...@lync.nl says...

> I can't believe that nobody has done this before: how can I send a message
> to my application on another machine and vice versa, like you can do in
> QUAKE or any other network game.

I suppose (though I'm not a Delphi expert) you have to open a socket
between your 2 processes then make them communicate.

Regards,

Etienne

Re:Sending messages to other PC's

Verily, "Gilles Baatsen" <gbaat...@lync.nl> spake thus:

>I can't believe that nobody has done this before: how can I send a message
>to my application on another machine and vice versa, like you can do in
>QUAKE or any other network game.
>Thanks
>Gilles Baatsen

Gilles,

There are millions of methods...

1. Use DCOM / CORBA or another high level ORB.
2. Use a common transport protocol eg TCP/UDP/IPX/SPX
3. Do some horrible stuff with serial ports.
4. Share files on a network drive

It all depends exactly what you want to do, what your target
environment is ... all sorts of stuff. Could you be more specific?

Martin H.

Re:Sending messages to other PC's

On 16 Feb 1998 10:52:30 GMT, "Gilles Baatsen" <gbaat...@lync.nl>
wrote:

>I can't believe that nobody has done this before: how can I send a message
>to my application on another machine and vice versa, like you can do in
>QUAKE or any other network game.

>Thanks

>Gilles Baatsen

I would use TCP/IP. Go to http://www.rtfm.be/fpiette/indexuk.htm ,
where you can download some quite well tcp/ip components.

The author has included some demo apps how to communicate between some
computers.

Best regards

Hansjoerg Posch
DOWNLOAD MY E-MAIL CLIENT from http://members.magnet.at/tb_posch/dm

Re:Sending messages to other PC's

Is there any more info somewhere on this function(s)?  The
WIN32.HLP was totally worthless keying on the mailslot
keyword (D2).  Looks handy. tia

Benjamin Stengl says...

mdr...@norshor.dst.mn.us (Mark Rafn) wrote:
>Is there any more info somewhere on this function(s)?  The
>WIN32.HLP was totally worthless keying on the mailslot
>keyword (D2).  Looks handy. tia

>Benjamin Stengl says...
>> Gilles Baatsen wrote:

>> > I can't believe that nobody has done this before: how can I send a message
>> > to my application on another machine and vice versa, like you can do in
>> > QUAKE or any other network game.

>> Use the "mailslot"-functions (more information inside the WIN32.HLP).

Hi Mark.  Mailslots may be a bit slow for a high speed game, but are
probably adequate for most business apps.  (I think most games would use
NETBIOS, IPX or UDP.  These network protocols do not need
acknowledgement (I think) so your communication system needs to take
this into account.

However Martin Djern?s has two components (TmdMailSlot & TmdWinPopup)
with source and examples on his web page at

http://einstein.ot.dk/~djernaes/welcome.html

Note: mailslots do not have built in acknowledgement, but you can build
this extra communication layer on top.

Regards,
Chris Roberts

Mark Rafn wrote:
> Is there any more info somewhere on this function(s)?  The
> WIN32.HLP was totally worthless keying on the mailslot
> keyword (D2).  Looks handy. tia

Create a wordlist from WIN32.HLP (Click on the "Find"-Tab). If you enter the word
"mailslot", you'll get some nice topics about mailslot.

beni

--
Test now the beta of Education Suite 4:
http://www.gse.ch/cubic-s/edusuit4.html

Phone: +41 (56) 622 62 40
Email: b...@bitsmart.com

Re:Sending messages to other PC's

Hi,

I am researching a similar problem.

I need one Windows box to speak to multiple DOS boxes which control laser
processing.  The idea is to have delphi schedule the jobs to the DOS boxes.
I do not need blazing speed, but i do need reasonable perfornamce.

I am considering an ethernet network for the phsical layer, but have not
solved the communications part yet.  Seems like a common thing to want

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ray

< snip >

"Ray Glaze" <rgl...@nmt-inc.com> wrote:
>I need one Windows box to speak to multiple DOS boxes which control laser
>processing.  The idea is to have delphi schedule the jobs to the DOS boxes.
>I do not need blazing speed, but i do need reasonable perfornamce.

>I am considering an ethernet network for the phsical layer, but have not
>solved the communications part yet.  Seems like a common thing to want

Since you're talking to DOS boxes, I think that Mailslots are out,
unless you want to put Win3.11 on them ;)

What network OS is on the DOS boxes?

Do you want to just send small messages or lots of data?
Are the jobs "print jobs"?

I think that you have to start solving the problem from the DOS box end.
Matching solutions for the Windows box end can be found within Delphi,
components and the WinAPI.

Regards,
Chris Roberts

Re:Sending messages to other PC's

Chris Roberts <cdrobert_nos...@ctel.com.au> wrote in article
<34ec0eed.23145...@forums.borland.com>...

> Since you're talking to DOS boxes, I think that Mailslots are out,
> unless you want to put Win3.11 on them ;)

I've never done it personally but I've heard of named pipes being *created*
under DOS.  I know Win95 can only connect to a pipe, not create one but if the
pipe could be created from the DOS side, the problem would be solved.  Might be
worth investigating.

--
Ernie Deel, EFD Systems
Nothing is random, only uncertain.