Windows client to Linux server

Hi,

I have an application written using D4 and IB6 (via BDE).  It is working
fine on windows network environment.  Recently, a dealer of mine has been
asking me whether this applicaton can be run with the client on a windows
workstation and the server on a Linux server.  The rationale for doing so is
understandably commercial in nature when one considers the cost of Windows
2000 and the client licenses needed.  I need some advice in the following
areas:

1.    Is the above possible?

2.    How would I do it? For eg. how would my client access a IB database on
the linux server.

3.    Are there any pitfalls to avoid?

4.    Which linux to use? Redhat, Corel, etc.

5.    Which IB6 to use?  Classic or Superserver?

Thank you all for your valuable inputs.

Peter Tan

Re:Windows client to Linux server

"Peter Tan" <teks...@singnet.com.sg> escreveu na mensagem

> Hi,

> I have an application written using D4 and IB6 (via BDE).  It is working
> fine on windows network environment.  Recently, a dealer of mine has been
> asking me whether this applicaton can be run with the client on a windows
> workstation and the server on a Linux server.  The rationale for doing so
is
> understandably commercial in nature when one considers the cost of Windows
> 2000 and the client licenses needed.  I need some advice in the following
> areas:

> 1.    Is the above possible?

Yes

> 2.    How would I do it? For eg. how would my client access a IB database
on
> the linux server.

On the connect string in the application put sumething like
192.168.0.1:/path (where 192.168.0.1 is the IP of the machine with the IB
server)

> 3.    Are there any pitfalls to avoid?

I can't remember any

> 4.    Which linux to use? Redhat, Corel, etc.

I use SuSE 7.0 and it works fine

> 5.    Which IB6 to use?  Classic or Superserver?

I use IB6 classic

> Thank you all for your valuable inputs.

> Peter Tan

Rui Francisco

Re:Windows client to Linux server

I agree 100 % and add that I tested IB on SuSE 7.1 and Mandrake 8.0 and
there was no problem at all.

Aldo

Other Threads