where to download IB6 open source for Delphi ???

HI,

We decided to go opensource for IB6.

My questions:
- where can I download IB6 open source for Delphi 5 and 6 ???
- where can I find a site that explain how to implement the code ????

Something else:
My boss received an application that uses IB6 openSource and programs
created with Delphi.
I had a look at the install process....and I have some more questions:
There is no Interbase installation. I mean, I don't see any Interbase icon
on the systray...
There are no Interbase aliases created in the BDE.

It can be done with IB6 opensource ??? I mean, I can start the server inside
my program and then stop it as soon as I close my program ???

Bob.

Re:where to download IB6 open source for Delphi ???

"Bob Bedford" <bedfo...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

> HI,

> We decided to go opensource for IB6.

Good choice. I use it all the time.

> My questions:
> - where can I download IB6 open source for Delphi 5 and 6 ???

There is no such animal. IB6 is IB6. No Delphi or BCB versions. There are
different binaries for Windows, Linux, Solaris, etc. As for downloads.... I
believe that www.mers.com is where to get the binaries. You can get the
source code (if you REALLY want to compile it yourself) from
www.sourceforge.com.

www.borland.com
www.mers.com

> Something else:
> My boss received an application that uses IB6 openSource and programs
> created with Delphi.
> I had a look at the install process....and I have some more questions:
> There is no Interbase installation. I mean, I don't see any Interbase icon
> on the systray...

There doesn't need to be. In fact, there usually isn't. The only systray
icon I've ever seen was for IBGaurdian (it restarts the IBServer if it
stops), and that was only in Windows 9x.

> There are no Interbase aliases created in the BDE.

There don't need to be. You can use BDE, IBX, IBO, ODBC, and JDBC (and
probably a whole bunch of others) to connect to an IB6 database.

> It can be done with IB6 opensource ??? I mean, I can start the server
inside
> my program and then stop it as soon as I close my program ???

Yep. You can start and stop the IBServer from within your program. If you
write the program to be able to do so.

> Bob.

Jason

Re:where to download IB6 open source for Delphi ???

Thanks for reply...
I need some more help

> > There are no Interbase aliases created in the BDE.

> There don't need to be. You can use BDE, IBX, IBO, ODBC, and JDBC (and
> probably a whole bunch of others) to connect to an IB6 database.

As soon as I have the binaries...(.exe, I guess), how can I start it/them at
runTime. How can I install it to the client (with installshield express)).
I created an Alias to access to my DB. So I use BDE alias. You said that BDE
don't need any alias ???where can I configure that ?

> > It can be done with IB6 opensource ??? I mean, I can start the server
> inside
> > my program and then stop it as soon as I close my program ???

> Yep. You can start and stop the IBServer from within your program. If you
> write the program to be able to do so.

A little help would really be appriciated on it ...
How can I do that ???(I do use a TDatabase to connect to the BDE alias)
Are they some help files aroud ???

Thanks.

Bob

Re:where to download IB6 open source for Delphi ???

Hi Bob,

> Thanks for reply...
> I need some more help

> > > There are no Interbase aliases created in the BDE.

> > There don't need to be. You can use BDE, IBX, IBO, ODBC, and JDBC (and
> > probably a whole bunch of others) to connect to an IB6 database.

> As soon as I have the binaries...(.exe, I guess), how can I start it/them
at
> runTime. How can I install it to the client (with installshield express)).
> I created an Alias to access to my DB. So I use BDE alias. You said that
BDE
> don't need any alias ???where can I configure that ?

The BDE needs an alias. He said that you don't have to connect via the BDE.
If you don't use the BDE, you don't need a BDE alias :) ...

For IB install info, check out http://ibinstall.defined.net/

> > > It can be done with IB6 opensource ??? I mean, I can start the server
> > inside
> > > my program and then stop it as soon as I close my program ???

> > Yep. You can start and stop the IBServer from within your program. If
you
> > write the program to be able to do so.

> A little help would really be appriciated on it ...
> How can I do that ???(I do use a TDatabase to connect to the BDE alias)
> Are they some help files aroud ???

Usually, IBServer would always run. If you aren't connected, it only takes a
small amount of system resources, hardly noticeable.

--
Martijn Tonies
InterBase Workbench - the developer tool for InterBase and Firebird

Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

"This is an object-oriented system.
If we change anything, the users object."

Other Threads