20 million records

There are many powerful database servers available: Interbase, Oracle,
Sybase, Informix, SQL Server...

EBR

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997 17:38:39 +0100, Carl Nunn

<aligned.ass...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
>I am about to start upgrading a Delphi Application to provide a
>lookup engine for around 20 million records.

>The application currently works on around 500,000 records stored in
>DBF files. Without a radical redesign this would become too slow and
>use up around 10gb for 20 million records

>I would like to find out which would be the best database to use. I
>would also prefer to avoid duplicating the data in the index - is
>there a database format that allows this?

>If there is not a standard database which would provide the features
>I want, I may create my own compacted database format - and would
>appreciate any advice from anyone who may have done this.

>Thanks for any help ...

>Carl Nunn

Re:20 million records

Hi Carl,

You may wish to consider Advantage Database Server from Extended Systems.
Advantage brings the benefits of client/server processing to new and
existing DOS and Windows database applications.  With Advantage
transactions are processed on the server, rather than being transferred to
the client.  This greatly increases the speed of the application, reduces
network traffic, and eliminates the potential for index corruption.  With
databases as large as those you are describing, Advantage should offer a
considerable increase in speed.

Advantage may be a particularly attractive solution in our situation, since
Advantage uses the DBF file format.  Advantage also require little or no
change in your code.  If you have a need for remote access, Advantage can
also Internet enable your existing application with little or no change to
your code.  The same application you use on the LAN will be able to access
your data through the Internet.

For more information, please contact me or visit our web site at:
http://www.advantagedatabase.com

Carl Nunn <aligned.ass...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in article
<1997082517383970...@zetnet.co.uk>...

> I am about to start upgrading a Delphi Application to provide a
> lookup engine for around 20 million records.

> The application currently works on around 500,000 records stored in
> DBF files. Without a radical redesign this would become too slow and
> use up around 10gb for 20 million records

> I would like to find out which would be the best database to use. I
> would also prefer to avoid duplicating the data in the index - is
> there a database format that allows this?

> If there is not a standard database which would provide the features
> I want, I may create my own compacted database format - and would
> appreciate any advice from anyone who may have done this.

> Thanks for any help ...

> Carl Nunn

Re:20 million records

"Willo" <n...@spam.me> wrote:
>Frederic MARAND <f...@soon.com> wrote in article
><5tv3qq$mi...@news3.isdnet.net>...
>> e...@base.com.br (EBR) wrote:
>> ><aligned.ass...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

>> If you have a lot of time to lose to get a slow database engine, this
>> could be an interesting idea (:-)
>I don't agree. If one uses something like btrieve, or at least b+trees for
>indexes, one can build a database system that really moves.

Just read again : he said he wanted to create his own format. Btrieve IS
fast and efficient, but was not written in one day by a lone developer
just to support one database app : it's been on market and continuously
improved for over 10 years.

   Frederic G. MARAND
  Agorus SA / OSI SARL
 http://www.chez.com/osi