translating an application

hi,

i wrote an application with about 30 forms and 21,000 lines of code. now
the company wants me to make it possible to translate the application.

because this wasn't intented in the first place, no steps were taken to
facilitate that. the messages to the user are hard coded and so are the
captions to the various components.

i want to avoid going over the code line by line and over all the forms. do
you know of an automatic tool or a design pattern to accomplish this?

thanks,
ittay

p.s. if you can, please reply to my email (itt...@nice.com) and not the
newsgroup

Re:translating an application

ittay wrote...

|hi,
|
|i wrote an application with about 30 forms and 21,000 lines of code.
now
|the company wants me to make it possible to translate the
application.

|because this wasn't intented in the first place, no steps were taken
|facilitate that. the messages to the user are hard coded and so are
the
|captions to the various components.
|
|i want to avoid going over the code line by line and over all the
forms. do
|you know of an automatic tool or a design pattern to accomplish this?

I may be proved wrong, but afaik, this kind of tool doesn't exist. If
I were in the same situation, I would surely consider to write
something myself. I would copy all source files to a separate
directory <g>  Then, export all .DFM files in textformat to the same
directory.
Then, write a parser that looks for anything between quotes,anything
after Caption:= , text:= , etc..., and that replaces the found items
with some identification (referring to a resource), store all
references to a textfile, together with the identification :
stringref1=.....
stringref2=.....
Then, you can then add the textfile to a resourcefile going with the
application.
If your boss later decides that yet another language is to be added,
:0) , you only would have to change the resource file.

Just some thoughts,

|p.s. if you can, please reply to my email (itt...@nice.com) and not
the
|newsgroup
Sorry, this is against the newsgroup charter, so : posted & mailed.

Regards,
Dirk Claessens
dirk.claessens@village.#NOSPAM#uunet.be
dirk.claessens.dc@belgium.#NOSPAM#agfa.com
remove #NOSPAM#  from mailheader

Re:translating an application

We actually are about to release the MultLang Suite 2 package which
includes automatic search and replace of such hard coded strings in
the source code with version control (so you don't need to make
several copies of your source code or forms).

This is handeled with the Internationalization wizard in a few quick
steps within some seconds. The Localization wizard will even Machine
Translate your application in any number of languages for you and all
internationalized resources is being re-used as you continue to
develop, adding forms, creating new projects etc.

The MultLang Suite 2 has been built for small to very large scale
projects and it takes care of all localization, VCL messages, BDE, all
constants etc, and you can even Switch between the localized languages
at both design- and run-time. It's actually a breaktrhough...
Our previous packages could only switch and translate Standard VCL
components, but it can be very flexible too depending on your target
and budget.

Please visit our Web site: http://www.lingscape.com/ for more
information and FREE trial downloads.

Best regards

Patrik Wang
Lingscape
Multi Language in Focus

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998 16:52:17 +0200, "Dirk Claessens"

<Dirk.Claessens@village.#NOSPAM#uunet.be> wrote:

>ittay wrote...
>|hi,
>|
>|i wrote an application with about 30 forms and 21,000 lines of code.
>now
>|the company wants me to make it possible to translate the
>application.
>|
>|because this wasn't intented in the first place, no steps were taken
>|facilitate that. the messages to the user are hard coded and so are
>the
>|captions to the various components.
>|
>|i want to avoid going over the code line by line and over all the
>forms. do
>|you know of an automatic tool or a design pattern to accomplish this?
>|

>I may be proved wrong, but afaik, this kind of tool doesn't exist. If
>I were in the same situation, I would surely consider to write
>something myself. I would copy all source files to a separate

Re:translating an application

Dirk Claessens wrote...

|>I may be proved wrong, but afaik, this kind of tool doesn't exist.

Patrik Wang heeft geschreven in bericht
<3534b778.30484...@news.algonet.se>...
|We actually are about to release the MultLang Suite 2 package which
|includes automatic search and replace of such hard coded strings in
|the source code with version control (so you don't need to make
|several copies of your source code or forms).

Well...thank God I said AFAIK....

Re:translating an application

>i wrote an application with about 30 forms and 21,000 lines of code. now
>the company wants me to make it possible to translate the application.

>because this wasn't intented in the first place, no steps were taken to
>facilitate that. the messages to the user are hard coded and so are the
>captions to the various components.

You can do this using Multilanguage for VCL 3.0.
The mature technology used, makes the software
localization productive and brings flexibility, which
is needed in bigger software globalization projects.

You can easily get it from our site:
http://www.innoview-data.com/download/default.htm
Feel free to test it, in order to see how it meets your needs.

Here's how to proceed when localizing your software.

Using the Dictionary Editor utility which is shipped with
Innoview Multilanguage, you can do the following:
1) extract the strings to translate from the program source (*.pas, *.dfm,
etc.)
2) do the translations into any number of languages and locales.
     NB: This can be done by a non-programming person, Dictionary Editor
     is that easy to use. You can even go on with the program development
     when another person does the translations.
3) translations are stored in a Master Dictionary: next time the same
     translation is done automatically!

For localizing your software you have the easy-to-use Multilanguage
VCL components at our hands:
-   The translation and localization data is implemented into the
     project just by simply adding a dictionary and translator component
     into the form.
-   Depending on your needs you can have the translations either
       - embedded in the EXE (for making one-file multilingual software)
       - external ansi text or Unicode file
       - external binary file
       - database table
        etc.

The flexibility of Innoview Multilanguage makes it an apt solution
for most software globalization projects. The easiness of use
makes you save up to 80% of the time on localization.

You benefit, because you save time and you can focus your
efforts to the software's functionality. Furthermore you get the
localized version of your software out to the global markets
much earlier.

>i want to avoid going over the code line by line and over all the forms. do
>you know of an automatic tool or a design pattern to accomplish this?

>thanks,
>ittay

Here is one recently ready-made system, where the flexibility
of Innoview Multilanguage product prove its strength: Read and enjoy.
http://www.ds2000.net/prod01.htm
http://www.ds2000.net/internat.htm

With best regards,

Tord Lindberg
tord.lindb...@innoview-data.com
Innoview MULTILANGUAGE(tm)
Your Bridge to Global Software Markets
INNOVIEW DATA TECHNOLOGIES
Email: i...@innoview-data.com
Internet: http://www.innoview-data.com

Re:translating an application

Hi!

I've been working with Innoview Multilanguage 2.0
since last August. Since then I have worked
with hard coded strings, as well.

Innoview came with version 3.0 this spring.
(downloadable at: http://www.innoview-data.com/download/default.htm)
It includes such many additional goodies that
I'm going to upgrade soon.

Dictionary Editor has made the work very simple
to me. New 'Wizards' have been added, which
do the work for me.

Toddy Janzon
toddy.jan...@hyperhouse.com

Dirk Claessens wrote in message <6h0es0$97...@xenon.inbe.net>...
>Dirk Claessens wrote...
>|>I may be proved wrong, but afaik, this kind of tool doesn't exist.

>Patrik Wang heeft geschreven in bericht
><3534b778.30484...@news.algonet.se>...
>|We actually are about to release the MultLang Suite 2 package which
>|includes automatic search and replace of such hard coded strings in
>|the source code with version control (so you don't need to make
>|several copies of your source code or forms).

>Well...thank God I said AFAIK....

Other Threads