RichEdit question on formatting text

I have a RichEdit control where my code outputs text into, formatting
certain words or phrases with different font colors.  This works fine, but I
would also like to set the background of certain words to be different
colors.  MSWord allows this with the Highlight option, and I can copy and
paste highlighted text from MSWord into my RichEdit control, so I have to
assume that this is possible to do in code as well.  Can anyone provide me
with sample code or guidance on doing this in code.  Thanks in advance.