Using Delphi1 and SQL Anywhere Server on Network???

We're trying to use Delphi 1 (developer) to connect to a Sybase SQL
Anywhere
5.0 server.

I've got a clean db (can execute SQL to it via the Sybase ISQL tool).

I set up the SQL driver and alias in the BDE config, and set the
alias PATH to the db name on my computer.

I can/have accessed the database directly with a Delphi app while the db is
on the same computer as the client.

But... here is my problem.

My next step was to move the db to the server computer and attempt to
connect to it using the ODBC and Sybase Client application.

I start the server with the database name as the server name and wait for a
connection.

At the client, I start the DBCLIENT application specifying a TCP/IP
connection directly to the server IP address.  The start looks like this:
DBCLIENT -x tcpip{204.177.222.36} SURVEYOR    (Surveyor is the db name).

Now the client is running, the server is running, and I can connect to it
from the client using the ISQL and, can  access the db.

Now I go back to the BDE Config utility and change the alias...I
don't want it looking on my computer for the db.  There is no place to put
any network info in the alias, so I just space-out the PATH name and save
it.   The alias contains the DSN of SURVEYOR.  My thought is that Delphi
should use the alias to talk to the ODBC driver, who is smart enough to
"look" for the DSN (i.e., SURVEYOR) and then connect.   The client db app
is running with the name SURVEYOR...it should link up.

Now here's the kicker.    I now get into the Desktop Database tool and try
to open a table from the database.  It prompts for the UserID and Password
and then goes into about a 60 second hold.    I look at the Server Monitor
window and it shows me connecting over the network.   Then the Desktop
blows
up with a GPF and the <details> of the error say it failed in the
KEYBRD.DRV
( the keyboard??, must of screwed something up in memory.)

Now with me still connected to the server,  I jump into Delphi and try to
connect.   Same thing happens: I connect (using different UserID) and then
Delphi quickly blows and completely terminates.   I can't reload Delphi
'cause it left part of itself in  memory.   I look at the Server Monitor
window and I see two connections.   I look at the client screen and see a
dead system begging for a reboot.

Is there something wrong with the setup?

Is there a bug in the BDE?

Is what I'm trying impossible? (don't want to hear that)

-------

Does anyone have any thoughts?

BTW, we (the office) bought SQL Link 2.5 and we couldn't even get close to
a connection.

Re:Using Delphi1 and SQL Anywhere Server on Network???

Steve Treesh wrote:

> We're trying to use Delphi 1 (developer) to connect to a Sybase SQL
> Anywhere
> 5.0 server.

> I've got a clean db (can execute SQL to it via the Sybase ISQL tool).

> I set up the SQL driver and alias in the BDE config, and set the
> alias PATH to the db name on my computer.

> I can/have accessed the database directly with a Delphi app while the db is
> on the same computer as the client.

> But... here is my problem.

> My next step was to move the db to the server computer and attempt to
> connect to it using the ODBC and Sybase Client application.

> I start the server with the database name as the server name and wait for a
> connection.

> At the client, I start the DBCLIENT application specifying a TCP/IP
> connection directly to the server IP address.  The start looks like this:
> DBCLIENT -x tcpip{204.177.222.36} SURVEYOR    (Surveyor is the db name).

> Now the client is running, the server is running, and I can connect to it
> from the client using the ISQL and, can  access the db.

> Now I go back to the BDE Config utility and change the alias...I
> don't want it looking on my computer for the db.  There is no place to put
> any network info in the alias, so I just space-out the PATH name and save
> it.   The alias contains the DSN of SURVEYOR.  My thought is that Delphi
> should use the alias to talk to the ODBC driver, who is smart enough to
> "look" for the DSN (i.e., SURVEYOR) and then connect.   The client db app
> is running with the name SURVEYOR...it should link up.

> Now here's the kicker.    I now get into the Desktop Database tool and try
> to open a table from the database.  It prompts for the UserID and Password
> and then goes into about a 60 second hold.    I look at the Server Monitor
> window and it shows me connecting over the network.   Then the Desktop
> blows
> up with a GPF and the <details> of the error say it failed in the
> KEYBRD.DRV
> ( the keyboard??, must of screwed something up in memory.)

> Now with me still connected to the server,  I jump into Delphi and try to
> connect.   Same thing happens: I connect (using different UserID) and then
> Delphi quickly blows and completely terminates.   I can't reload Delphi
> 'cause it left part of itself in  memory.   I look at the Server Monitor
> window and I see two connections.   I look at the client screen and see a
> dead system begging for a reboot.

> Is there something wrong with the setup?

> Is there a bug in the BDE?

> Is what I'm trying impossible? (don't want to hear that)

> -------

> Does anyone have any thoughts?

> BTW, we (the office) bought SQL Link 2.5 and we couldn't even get close to
> a connection.

I have developed a system using Delphi 1.0 and SQL Anywhere 5.0
on Netware 3.12 (IPX)

It sounds like you need to set up the ODBC driver to look for a
server and not a local DB. Leave the BDE settings alone. The
BDE only knows that it needs to talk to an ODBC datasource. It's
ODBC that's responsible for knowing where the database is and how
to get to it.

Good Luck
Peter

Re:Using Delphi1 and SQL Anywhere Server on Network???

Steve:

I can't even get the free trial version of SQL Anywhere to work with the
DBD.  I'm doing something way wrong in the configuration, but haven't a
clue.

Could you send me the parms in your ODBC and BDECFG areas for the drivers
and aliases?  I can't even access the sample db.

Thanks!

-Dave

In article <01bc0eaf$36ed0560$0beaaec7@streesh>, stre...@sprynet.com
says...