Board index » delphi » Delphi vs PowerBuilder vs Visualbasic

Delphi vs PowerBuilder vs Visualbasic

Hi

I work for a software company that has a manufacturing systems packing on
a unix platform using COBOL data files. We are looking to move to a GUI
client server environment and are in the process of evaluating the above 3
products. Can anyone who has used 1 or more of the above tools help?

I would really appreciate some info from people who have used these tools.
You can email me at the foll address

nbal...@umich.edu

Thank you in advance.

Vidya Baliga

 

Re:Delphi vs PowerBuilder vs Visualbasic


We have been using Delphi for over a year, and overall have been quite
happy with it.  Regardless of how much money you spend, Delphi is far from
a perfect Client/Server tool.  I think Powerbuilder is much more advanced
in this area, however we found Delphi to be much more stable, and very
quick to design new applications.  Think of it like this:  With Delphi,
Borland took a programming language and added Client/Server links, with
Powerbuilder, they had the data access, and built a programming language
around it.  There are advantages to both, however, Delphi edged out
Powerbuilder for us, and we have been quite happy with it.  

...Michael...

Quote
> I work for a software company that has a manufacturing systems packing
on
> a unix platform using COBOL data files. We are looking to move to a GUI
> client server environment and are in the process of evaluating the above
3
> products. Can anyone who has used 1 or more of the above tools help?

> Vidya Baliga

Re:Delphi vs PowerBuilder vs Visualbasic


Hi Vidya,

I have used all of them.  There should be no doubt to anyone, who has used
them,
concerning  which to choose.

 DELPHI, DELPHI, DELPHI ........

It is by far the most powerful tool and has a great set of visual tools to
help the
work get done faster.

Applications are  absurdly faster.

If you have any specific questions, send to my e-mail.  Sometimes I loose
track
of a thread in the newsgroup.

--
Mauricio Longo
Manager Technology Group
Simples Information Technology
mlo...@simples.com.br

Vidya Baliga <nbal...@umich.edu> wrote in article
<nbaliga-1507962246180...@pm051-28.dialip.mich.net>...

Quote
> Hi

> I work for a software company that has a manufacturing systems packing on
> a unix platform using COBOL data files. We are looking to move to a GUI
> client server environment and are in the process of evaluating the above
3
> products. Can anyone who has used 1 or more of the above tools help?

> I would really appreciate some info from people who have used these
tools.
> You can email me at the foll address

> nbal...@umich.edu

> Thank you in advance.

> Vidya Baliga

Re:Delphi vs PowerBuilder vs Visualbasic


In article <01bb74ad.9643a380$7e0899ce@michaels>,

Quote
Michael Silver <micha...@dartinc.com> wrote:
>We have been using Delphi for over a year, and overall have been quite
>happy with it.  Regardless of how much money you spend, Delphi is far from
>a perfect Client/Server tool.  I think Powerbuilder is much more advanced
>in this area, however we found Delphi to be much more stable, and very
>quick to design new applications.  Think of it like this:  With Delphi,
>Borland took a programming language and added Client/Server links, with
>Powerbuilder, they had the data access, and built a programming language
>around it.  There are advantages to both, however, Delphi edged out
>Powerbuilder for us, and we have been quite happy with it.  

>...Michael...

I have recently been using Powerbuilder, just after a Delphi project
that I worked on.  I agree that Powerbuilder is much more advanced
in the area of database access/manipultation and Client/Server
developement.  This includes what I understand about Borland's
Client/Server version (which appears to be a joke).  Powerbuilder's
Desktop edition appears to provide for more database handling
capability than Delphi's Client/Server edition.  Of course the
Delphi Client/Server comes with a remote Interbase server, but
I am talking about database functionality here.  After
all, once you access the data, you are limited by a tools
ability to manipulate the database (process, and report
on the data in a easy to implement developement format).  

I would expect more from the high end and pricey Delphi product.
From what I understand, the Client/Server edition is
just the Developer with some additional drivers, a remote
Interbase server, and a SQL version of ReportSmith.  It does come
with some additional developer specific tools like the source
control management system.  Big deal!  I found ReportSmith to
be very limited for commercial reporting purposes.  It
allows the developer to deploy a distributed solution, but
what good is this when it is weak in database functionality??  This
would be the area that would make the difference to me in
any database and client/server developement product.  I am finding
the tools that come with Powerbuilder Desktop to much more
powerful in this key area.

What do all of you think?

RCG

Re:Delphi vs PowerBuilder vs Visualbasic


Delphi overall has a better future if Borland doesn't kill it for IntraBuilder,
Latte, or some other near future product. It is better because it is truly
object-oriented and flexible to customize. I agree that its database processing has
a great deal of room for improvement to catch PowerBuilder. I like the reporting power
of PowerBuilder's DataWindow. So if anyone in Borland is listening, you
can kill PowerBuilder's future in my plans if you can make a
ReportExpert that matches the DataWindow. Does anyone know of
such a tool for Delphi that can match the DataWindow?

Alex

A Delphi diehard and a Certified PowerBuilder Developer.

Other Threads