BDE 5.01 with MS SQL Server 2000

I haven't been able to get BDE 5.01 to recognise an alias for MS SQL Server
2000. I'm beginning to assume that the two may not be compatible. Does
anyone have a definitive answer on this one or know any workarounds.

Many thanks
Chris Jones

Re:BDE 5.01 with MS SQL Server 2000

You can connect to MSSQL 2000 with the BDE, but certain field types won't be
readable (nchar, nvarchar, ntext, etc.). I strongly recommend using ADO

--

Alain Quesnel
cinqsanss...@compuserve.com

"Chris Jones" <chr...@lycosCUTTHESPAM.ltd.uk> wrote in message

> I haven't been able to get BDE 5.01 to recognise an alias for MS SQL
Server
> 2000. I'm beginning to assume that the two may not be compatible. Does
> anyone have a definitive answer on this one or know any workarounds.

> Many thanks
> Chris Jones

Re:BDE 5.01 with MS SQL Server 2000

Hi Chris,

You can download the latest BDE 5.2 from
http://info.borland.com/devsupport/bde/ and try it.  We have definitely been
able to connect to MSSQL 2000 with it.

Having said that, I'll make the vote 4-0 on using ADO instead of BDE for new
development.

--
Jim

Re:BDE 5.01 with MS SQL Server 2000

> > [SQL Server] Cannot open database requested in login
> > 'C:\Program Files\ Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Northwnd.mdf'
> > Login fails.
> > Alias: ATHENA4

Are you sure the login name/password and database name are correct?  If
so, are there rights limiting what you can do on the sql login?

David R.

Re:BDE 5.01 with MS SQL Server 2000

Hi Chris,
I totally agree with Jim moving to ADO. I've  transfered most of our
applications from BDE to ADO without much difficulty. The only one major
thing missing in ADO is the batchcopy capacity.

Rob

"Jim Elden" <x@yz> wrote in message news:3db57f0d@newsgroups.borland.com...
> Hi Chris,

> You can download the latest BDE 5.2 from
> http://info.borland.com/devsupport/bde/ and try it.  We have definitely
been
> able to connect to MSSQL 2000 with it.

> Having said that, I'll make the vote 4-0 on using ADO instead of BDE for
new
> development.

> --
> Jim

Re:BDE 5.01 with MS SQL Server 2000

Hi Robert!

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:45:33 -0700, "Robert Si"

<rob...@prowess.com.au> wrote:
>Hi Chris,
>I totally agree with Jim moving to ADO. I've  transfered most of our
>applications from BDE to ADO without much difficulty. The only one major
>thing missing in ADO is the batchcopy capacity.

What about cached updates on master/detail datasets in one
transaction?

tomi.

Re:BDE 5.01 with MS SQL Server 2000

you can also do cached updates with tBetterAdoDataset.

Other Threads