Board index » delphi » Viewing multiple records simultaneously

Viewing multiple records simultaneously

Here is my problem, the user wants to have on the form two records
simultaneously from the same dataset.
The cursor would move to the focused one, accordingly.
The first thought was to use to different datasets but then all data is
buffered twice, there are going to be issues with the synchronization, etc.
And there is a control in Delphi that does that: the dbgrid. A dbgrid can
show all the records in the dataset simultaneously, even if the cursor is
position on only one.
Is there an easy way to do the same with, let's say, two TDBEdit controls?
 

Re:Viewing multiple records simultaneously


No. You will need to use two separate TTables or TQuerys. There should
be no problem with that in turns of performance.

Woody

Quote
Luchian wrote in message <70o3hl$m...@forums.borland.com>...
>Here is my problem, the user wants to have on the form two records
>simultaneously from the same dataset.
>The cursor would move to the focused one, accordingly.
>The first thought was to use to different datasets but then all data
is
>buffered twice, there are going to be issues with the

synchronization, etc.
Quote
>And there is a control in Delphi that does that: the dbgrid. A dbgrid
can
>show all the records in the dataset simultaneously, even if the
cursor is
>position on only one.
>Is there an easy way to do the same with, let's say, two TDBEdit
controls?

Re:Viewing multiple records simultaneously


Well, every time I modify a record, I have to refresh the other dataset - my
application might need 10 records display at a time (as a matter of fact, I
may not even know at the design time how many will be there...)

I have another idea - what about cloning stuff in the TClientDataSet? (I
never used it...)
Do you have any example of how to do that?
Also, do you have any simple (there is a complicated one in Demos) example
on how to use NestedTable - TObjectField?

thanks

Quote
Woody wrote in message <70ohf6$ma...@forums.borland.com>...
>No. You will need to use two separate TTables or TQuerys. There should
>be no problem with that in turns of performance.

>Woody

Re:Viewing multiple records simultaneously


How about using the DBCtrlGrid?
Quote
Luchian wrote:

> Here is my problem, the user wants to have on the form two records
> simultaneously from the same dataset.
> The cursor would move to the focused one, accordingly.
> The first thought was to use to different datasets but then all data is
> buffered twice, there are going to be issues with the synchronization, etc.
> And there is a control in Delphi that does that: the dbgrid. A dbgrid can
> show all the records in the dataset simultaneously, even if the cursor is
> position on only one.
> Is there an easy way to do the same with, let's say, two TDBEdit controls?

Re:Viewing multiple records simultaneously


How about using the DBCtrlGrid?
Quote
Luchian wrote:

> Here is my problem, the user wants to have on the form two records
> simultaneously from the same dataset.
> The cursor would move to the focused one, accordingly.
> The first thought was to use to different datasets but then all data is
> buffered twice, there are going to be issues with the synchronization, etc.
> And there is a control in Delphi that does that: the dbgrid. A dbgrid can
> show all the records in the dataset simultaneously, even if the cursor is
> position on only one.
> Is there an easy way to do the same with, let's say, two TDBEdit controls?

Re:Viewing multiple records simultaneously


I don't use either since I am stuck in Delphi 2.0. I have no need of
the advancements to later versions of Delphi as of yet and so am
reluctant to spend the additional moneys (especially with the bugs
being reported. So far I've been able to get around everything in D2).

Woody

Quote
Luchian wrote in message <70opdf$n...@forums.borland.com>...
>Well, every time I modify a record, I have to refresh the other
dataset - my
>application might need 10 records display at a time (as a matter of
fact, I
>may not even know at the design time how many will be there...)

>I have another idea - what about cloning stuff in the TClientDataSet?
(I
>never used it...)
>Do you have any example of how to do that?
>Also, do you have any simple (there is a complicated one in Demos)
example
>on how to use NestedTable - TObjectField?

>thanks

>Woody wrote in message <70ohf6$ma...@forums.borland.com>...
>>No. You will need to use two separate TTables or TQuerys. There
should
>>be no problem with that in turns of performance.

>>Woody

Other Threads