Deploying D5's BDE with D3 App and D3's ISE

Hello,

I have seen a lot of people ask about putting D5 on a machine that has D3
on. I have done this and I now seem to have a problem deploying D3 apps that
use the BDE with Installshield Express that comes with D3. I have been to
the Borland web site and got what I think is the updated Installshield files
for D4 but the installation still fails on a client's Win2000 Beta 3 machine
with a message about not being able to merge configuration files.

Is there a solution? Is it Win 2000 Beta 3 or is it just me? Hope some one
can help, else it means removing D5 and reinstalling D3.

--

Regards
David Hoyle :-)

Today I have been mostly listening to
Vinnie Moore - The Maze

E-Mail (Home): Da...@HoylD.Freeserve.co.uk
Web Site Address: http://www.hoyld.freeserve.co.uk/

Re:Deploying D5's BDE with D3 App and D3's ISE

Use the ISX that comes with D5.  The reason is changes in the BDE required
changes to the install script for the BDE.  The ISX that comes with D3 in
essance does not know how to properly install BDE 5.10.  But the ISX that comes
with D5 does.  Other than that they (the ISX versions) should be pretty much
interchangable.

You can also read the FAQ at
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/faq/FAQ3727B.html as it covers the merge
failed message.

David Hoyle wrote:

> Hello,

> I have seen a lot of people ask about putting D5 on a machine that has D3
> on. I have done this and I now seem to have a problem deploying D3 apps that
> use the BDE with Installshield Express that comes with D3. I have been to
> the Borland web site and got what I think is the updated Installshield files
> for D4 but the installation still fails on a client's Win2000 Beta 3 machine
> with a message about not being able to merge configuration files.

> Is there a solution? Is it Win 2000 Beta 3 or is it just me? Hope some one
> can help, else it means removing D5 and reinstalling D3.

> --

> Regards
> David Hoyle :-)

> Today I have been mostly listening to
> Vinnie Moore - The Maze

> E-Mail (Home): Da...@HoylD.Freeserve.co.uk
> Web Site Address: http://www.hoyld.freeserve.co.uk/

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
Learning is finding out what you already know.  Doing is demonstrating that you

Re:Deploying D5's BDE with D3 App and D3's ISE

Jeff,

The version of D5 is the trial version from the internet and hence does not
have ISX for D5 with it. I do have D4.03 Std on CD (currently not installed)
so I have uninstalled D3's ISX and installed D4's ISX and rebuild the
distributable image, but the client says the installation has fail again
with two messages.

1)    IDAPI32.CNF could not be located in SUPPORTDIR
2)    Merging The Configuration File has failed c:\.......\BDE\IDAPI.CNF

Do I assume that D4 ISX with not install either, thus leaving me with the
options of buying D5 Pro or uninstalling D3 & D5 and reinstalling D3 on my
machine.
--

David Hoyle wrote:

> Jeff,

> The version of D5 is the trial version from the internet and hence does not
> have ISX for D5 with it. I do have D4.03 Std on CD (currently not installed)
> so I have uninstalled D3's ISX and installed D4's ISX and rebuild the
> distributable image, but the client says the installation has fail again
> with two messages.

> 1)    IDAPI32.CNF could not be located in SUPPORTDIR

I'm not familuar with this message.

> 2)    Merging The Configuration File has failed c:\.......\BDE\IDAPI.CNF

Borland has a FAQ on this one at
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/faq/FAQ3727B.html.

I would also check and make sure there isn't more than one installation of the
BDE on that machine.  Search it for IDAPI32.dll.  There should only be one
copy.  Multiple copies are a good sign that at least one copy of the BDE has
been improperly installed on that machine.

> Do I assume that D4 ISX with not install either, thus leaving me with the
> options of buying D5 Pro or uninstalling D3 & D5 and reinstalling D3 on my
> machine.
> --

> Regards
> David Hoyle :-)

> Today I have been mostly listening to
> Vinnie Moore - The Maze

> E-Mail (Home): Da...@HoylD.Freeserve.co.uk
> Web Site Address: http://www.hoyld.freeserve.co.uk/

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
Learning is finding out what you already know.  Doing is demonstrating that you
know it.  Teaching is reminding others that they know it as well as you.  We are
all leaners, doers, teachers.  (R Bach)

Other Threads