Interbase Local Server

I built an application that uses the Interbase local server and I plan to
distribute it soon.  It seems that for the run-time version to run, I have
to install Interbase Local Server in order for the application to work.  Is
there a way to make the application run during run time without having to
install the Interbase Local Server?

Re:Interbase Local Server

You need to contact Borland about "Distribution rights" of the Local IB
Server. Unless you have the DRs for the LIB then you would be violating the
rules and the Borland boys are watching (aren't you John and Dan) so be
careful.  But yes you need to install the LIB on the other machine.  PS. If
this is D1 then you have the DRs for the 16bit LIB.
--
Remove NOSPAM. from email

lydia ko <m...@earthlink.net> wrote in article
<6g3q8r$...@argentina.earthlink.net>...

> I built an application that uses the Interbase local server and I plan to
> distribute it soon.  It seems that for the run-time version to run, I
have
> to install Interbase Local Server in order for the application to work.
Is
> there a way to make the application run during run time without having to
> install the Interbase Local Server?

Re:Interbase Local Server

Do you mean that there is no runtime version of Local Interbase Server,
unlike Microsoft Access.  Microsoft Access does not have to be installed to
run a VB application that uses it.  I am not too concerned about the
distribution rights but rather about the inconvenience that the user
experiences by going through the installation of Local intervase Server in
addition that of my application.

Re:Interbase Local Server

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998 15:10:05 -0800, "lydia ko" <m...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I built an application that uses the Interbase local server and I plan to
>distribute it soon.  It seems that for the run-time version to run, I have
>to install Interbase Local Server in order for the application to work.  Is
>there a way to make the application run during run time without having to
>install the Interbase Local Server?

Yes, I'm watching you :))

IB and Local IB are db SERVERS and not desktop databases like Access,
Paradox etc. This is why you need server software for your users.

IB Server:
        -support network. You need client licences for users to
connect to db. It looks on concurent connection, i.e. 10 users with 5
connections can run just fine (although some will get message 'user
quota exceeding' and they must wait for somebody to disconnect). But
if you buy 10 client licences for 10 users then you have perfect
solution.

Local IB:
        -everything's same like 'big' IB server but don't support
network & multiusers. Every user MUST buy licence for using Local IB
on his machine. No other way. If you try another way you are violeting
the law.

I think your user will not make you problems because you are
installing LIB on his machine. But if you don't wish to do this, then
use some desktop db.
BTW, all RDBs work the same way.

If you need additional questions, be free to ask....

Mladen Kuzminski
BORLAND distribucija
KONTO d.o.o. Pozega, Ured Varazdin
042/231-994, 231-713

mailto:borl...@konto.hr
http://www.konto.hr

LEGALNO JE SIGURNO! BSA g.i.u.
http://www.bsa.hr
mailto:hotl...@bsa.hr

Re:Interbase Local Server

Just a suggestion, it would be nice (and would generate more interest in
the product) if you had a "crippled" version that you could send out for
free with demos/product evaluations. Hard to sell without them.

Robert

KONTO d.o.o. Pozega, Varazdin -BORLAND distribucija wrote in message
<3528dfc7.2508...@news.tel.hr>...

>On Fri, 3 Apr 1998 15:10:05 -0800, "lydia ko" <m...@earthlink.net>
>wrote:

>>I built an application that uses the Interbase local server and I plan
>>distribute it soon.  It seems that for the run-time version to run, I
have
>>to install Interbase Local Server in order for the application to work.
Is
>>there a way to make the application run during run time without having
>>install the Interbase Local Server?

>Yes, I'm watching you :))

>IB and Local IB are db SERVERS and not desktop databases like Access,
>Paradox etc. This is why you need server software for your users.

>IB Server:
> -support network. You need client licences for users to
>connect to db. It looks on concurent connection, i.e. 10 users with 5
>connections can run just fine (although some will get message 'user
>quota exceeding' and they must wait for somebody to disconnect). But
>if you buy 10 client licences for 10 users then you have perfect
>solution.

>Local IB:
> -everything's same like 'big' IB server but don't support
>network & multiusers. Every user MUST buy licence for using Local IB
>on his machine. No other way. If you try another way you are violeting
>the law.

>I think your user will not make you problems because you are
>installing LIB on his machine. But if you don't wish to do this, then
>use some desktop db.
>BTW, all RDBs work the same way.

>If you need additional questions, be free to ask....

>Mladen Kuzminski
>BORLAND distribucija
>KONTO d.o.o. Pozega, Ured Varazdin
>042/231-994, 231-713