32 bit ODBC and Windows 95

I remember reading several months ago that there were problems
with Windows 95 and 32 bit ODBC drivers.  I am trying to connect
to an Access 7.0 database using the 32 bit Microsoft Access
Driver ODBC driver.  I can't even get the 32 bit data source to
show up in Delphi (Delphi 1.0).  The 16 bit data sources show up
but when I use them to open the MS Access 7.0 table, I get an
error.  I can use the same data sources to connect to MS Access
2.0 tables, though.  Does anyone remember anything or know
anything about this?

Re:32 bit ODBC and Windows 95

Morrisha L. Hudgons wrote:

> I remember reading several months ago that there were problems
> with Windows 95 and 32 bit ODBC drivers.  I am trying to connect
> to an Access 7.0 database using the 32 bit Microsoft Access
> Driver ODBC driver.  I can't even get the 32 bit data source to
> show up in Delphi (Delphi 1.0).  The 16 bit data sources show up
> but when I use them to open the MS Access 7.0 table, I get an
> error.  I can use the same data sources to connect to MS Access
> 2.0 tables, though.  Does anyone remember anything or know
> anything about this?

Can you use a 32-bit driver with a 16-bit program?  I don't believe you
can.  I know that I cannot use a 16-bit ODBC driver with 32-bit Delphi 2
in Windows NT 3.51.  That or I am seriously messed-up (which is quite
likely.)

Re:32 bit ODBC and Windows 95

"Richard P. Poletti" <rpole...@teleport.com> wrote:

>Morrisha L. Hudgons wrote:

>> I remember reading several months ago that there were problems
>> with Windows 95 and 32 bit ODBC drivers.  I am trying to connect
>> to an Access 7.0 database using the 32 bit Microsoft Access
>> Driver ODBC driver.  I can't even get the 32 bit data source to
>> show up in Delphi (Delphi 1.0).  The 16 bit data sources show up
>> but when I use them to open the MS Access 7.0 table, I get an
>> error.  I can use the same data sources to connect to MS Access
>> 2.0 tables, though.  Does anyone remember anything or know
>> anything about this?

>Can you use a 32-bit driver with a 16-bit program?  I don't believe you
>can.  I know that I cannot use a 16-bit ODBC driver with 32-bit Delphi 2
>in Windows NT 3.51.  That or I am seriously messed-up (which is quite
>likely.)

You can't do this under 95 - NT does provide automatic
translation between 16 bit apps and 32 bit drivers, but not
the other way round. In 95 you cannot mix the bittedness at
all.

Re:32 bit ODBC and Windows 95

mbr...@abcomp.win-uk.net wrote:

: You can't do this under 95 - NT does provide automatic
: translation between 16 bit apps and 32 bit drivers, but not
: the other way round. In 95 you cannot mix the bittedness at
: all.

I've been afraid to install any 32-bit drivers because I don't
know whether they'll crowd out the 16-bit versions; and I don't want my
many 16-bit apps that use ODBC breaking!  Can the two sets of drivers
co-exist, so you can continue to use (say) your old Excel with 16-bit
ODBC, while using 32-bit ODBC for Delphi apps?

Re:32 bit ODBC and Windows 95

Roy Brander, P.Eng. wrote:

> mbr...@abcomp.win-uk.net wrote:
> : You can't do this under 95 - NT does provide automatic
> : translation between 16 bit apps and 32 bit drivers, but not
> : the other way round. In 95 you cannot mix the bittedness at
> : all.

> I've been afraid to install any 32-bit drivers because I don't
> know whether they'll crowd out the 16-bit versions; and I don't want my
> many 16-bit apps that use ODBC breaking!  Can the two sets of drivers
> co-exist, so you can continue to use (say) your old Excel with 16-bit
> ODBC, while using 32-bit ODBC for Delphi apps?

I have both 16-bit and 32-bit Sybase drivers on my system and they seem
to coexist quite well.  Both reach my Sybase 10.02 database without any
hitches.

Ray Porter
Applications Analyst Programmer
Administrative Information Services, UNC-CH
Phone: 966-5878
email: l...@email.adp.unc.edu
         dra...@email.unc.edu
Home Page: http://www.adp.unc.edu/~lrp/

Re:32 bit ODBC and Windows 95

mbr...@abcomp.win-uk.net wrote:

> "Richard P. Poletti" <rpole...@teleport.com> wrote:
> >Morrisha L. Hudgons wrote:

> >> I remember reading several months ago that there were problems
> >> with Windows 95 and 32 bit ODBC drivers.  I am trying to connect
> >> to an Access 7.0 database using the 32 bit Microsoft Access
> >> Driver ODBC driver.  I can't even get the 32 bit data source to
> >> show up in Delphi (Delphi 1.0).  The 16 bit data sources show up
> >> but when I use them to open the MS Access 7.0 table, I get an
> >> error.  I can use the same data sources to connect to MS Access
> >> 2.0 tables, though.  Does anyone remember anything or know
> >> anything about this?

> >Can you use a 32-bit driver with a 16-bit program?  I don't believe you
> >can.  I know that I cannot use a 16-bit ODBC driver with 32-bit Delphi 2
> >in Windows NT 3.51.  That or I am seriously messed-up (which is quite
> >likely.)

> You can't do this under 95 - NT does provide automatic
> translation between 16 bit apps and 32 bit drivers, but not
> the other way round. In 95 you cannot mix the bittedness at
> all.

Actually, you can use a 32-bit driver with a 16-bit program.  It is called "generic
thunking".  I have successfully used the 32-bit SQLServer driver from Delphi 16 on more
than one occasion (in Windows95!).  Theoretically, the same should apply to Access drivers,
but for some or other reason it does not work.  You definitely cannot use a 16bit driver
with a 32-bit program in Windows95 or NT.  This is called "universal thunking" and normally
only works under Windows 3.11 when you run in WIN32s mode.

Pieter

Developer, ODBCExpress

http://www.adam.co.za

Other Threads