Finding the SQL Server's version number

Folks,

I'm trying to find a solution on how to query the SQL Server running
on a remote machine for its version number *WITHOUT* logging in to
that server.

Is there a way I can ask the remote SQL Server for its version number?
Can I query the service running for its version number? Any other way?

Thanks!
Marc

Marc Scheuner                                          Software Engineer
Quest Software Canada                       Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Email: marc.scheu...@quest.com                      http://www.quest.com

Re:Finding the SQL Server's version number

other than building a database of file version info for the mssql
executables, probably not. I doubt that the server enumeration capabilities
of OLEDB/ODBC/SQLDMO provide this info, and I'm pretty sure you're aware of
that path.
I guess the friendly stormtroopers at MS never intended one to find out that
much about a MSSQL instance without login credentials.

Other Threads