Theoretical C/S Question

All,

In a C/S approach, how much of an application's intelligence should be
placed on the server side of the equation?  For example, I use Delphi 4 with
Interbase 5.1.  I make sure I place all of my fundamental database rules on
the server side, like referential integrity rules, constraints, checks, etc.
However, on the subject of error-handling I find C/S logic to be somewhat
confusing.  If I want Interbase to handle all errors and return complete,
user friendly messages to the application, I realize I could create simple
stored procedures for even the most basic inserts, deletes, etc., on the
server side, and then create user-defined exceptions to provide a complete
error interface.  But this seems like a lot of work.  So instead, I find
myself leaning toward using Delphi's base exceptions and relying on the
interpretation of server error codes to provide userful information to the
user.  Yet, this decentralization flys in the face of C/S logic, doesn't it?

If anyone could provide this forum with a succinct explanation of where to
draw the line between application and server in C/S development, I think
desktop database converts like myself would greatly benefit.

Vinny

Re:Theoretical C/S Question

Vinny,

Good post.  I am trying to repost this on to non-technical.

I have just written a post on C/S not moving in the direction of C/S, and
this is one good example.

BUT : I would like to warn you.  If you ever plan on migrating you
application, you are better off leaving ALL logic in the application with
the exception of constraints and ranges.

Stored Procedures and Triggers are not recommended in my eyes due to
portability problems..

Roger

Vinny wrote in message <6p0vgr$im...@forums.borland.com>...
>All,

>In a C/S approach, how much of an application's intelligence should be
>placed on the server side of the equation?  For example, I use Delphi 4
with
>Interbase 5.1.  I make sure I place all of my fundamental database rules on
>the server side, like referential integrity rules, constraints, checks,
etc.
>However, on the subject of error-handling I find C/S logic to be somewhat
>confusing.  If I want Interbase to handle all errors and return complete,
>user friendly messages to the application, I realize I could create simple
>stored procedures for even the most basic inserts, deletes, etc., on the
>server side, and then create user-defined exceptions to provide a complete
>error interface.  But this seems like a lot of work.  So instead, I find
>myself leaning toward using Delphi's base exceptions and relying on the
>interpretation of server error codes to provide userful information to the
>user.  Yet, this decentralization flys in the face of C/S logic, doesn't
it?

>If anyone could provide this forum with a succinct explanation of where to
>draw the line between application and server in C/S development, I think
>desktop database converts like myself would greatly benefit.

>Vinny

Other Threads