Sending and receiving email (SMTP & POP3)

I am new to the pascal scene, I previously used visual basic and some C++. I
am now trying my hand at Turbo Pascal and Delphi. My current task is to
write a program that can send SMTP mail and recieve POP3 mail.
Does anyone know of any components that will allow me to do this. I have
heard about MAPI would that do? I know that was used for the Mellisa Virus
but does it have the ability to receive mail.?
Also
I have tried looking for this myself at different web sites. The best I can
find was a program that used Winsock 1.1. Unfortunately I haven't winsock
1.1. When I tried looking for that all I could find were other dll not ther
winsock.dll. I must have 10 different version ranging up to version 2. But i
couldn't find winsock.dll.

This is a last resort, I have been to the end of the Earth to find some
source. Anyone please help.
and...@bramp.freeserve.co.uk

P.S
if you need more info don't hesitate to ask me.

Re:Sending and receiving email (SMTP & POP3)

Bramp666 <and...@bramp.freeserve.co.uk> schrieb im Beitrag
<7ilqh8$r7...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...

> I am new to the pascal scene, I previously used visual basic and some C++.
> am now trying my hand at Turbo Pascal and Delphi. My current task is to
> write a program that can send SMTP mail and recieve POP3 mail.
> Does anyone know of any components that will allow me to do this. I have
> heard about MAPI would that do? I know that was used for the Mellisa Virus
> but does it have the ability to receive mail.?

MAPI is a message exchange layer (it's part of the MS Exchange services).
It's at a higher level than POP3 and SMPT, but it can be used to receive and
send mails (if the MAPI account is set up correctly). However, I don't really
think that this is the solution for you.

> Also
> I have tried looking for this myself at different web sites. The best I can
> find was a program that used Winsock 1.1. Unfortunately I haven't winsock
> 1.1. When I tried looking for that all I could find were other dll not ther
> winsock.dll. I must have 10 different version ranging up to version 2. But
> couldn't find winsock.dll.

In Delphi 2.01, 3 and 4 you get some internet components. There are also
several free socket units around together with components  handling SMTP and
POP3. The're all WinSock based,m and I'm sure you have WinSock because the
majority of internet programs (the only excpeion are some special provider
software like old AOL or T-Online software) is based on it.

I wrote a complete commercial mail server using Delphi, however the source is
not available to the public. I may release my fully async-handled socket unit
which handles everything like text buffering and non-blocked sending some
time, but I don't know yet.

--
Arsne von Wyss - avonw...@gmx.net
 Pascal, Delphi & Personal stuff: http://bsn.ch/avonwyss

Re:Sending and receiving email (SMTP & POP3)

Arsne von Wyss wrote:

[...]

> I wrote a complete commercial mail server using Delphi, however the source is
> not available to the public. I may release my fully async-handled socket unit
> which handles everything like text buffering and non-blocked sending some
> time, but I don't know yet.

> --
> Arsne von Wyss - avonw...@gmx.net
>  Pascal, Delphi & Personal stuff: http://bsn.ch/avonwyss
>  Programming Contest Problems Archive: http://bsn.ch/contest
>  Webmaster von Roger's Equine Pages: http://bsn.ch/pferde

Would "Please - Pretty Please" help?

Best Regards,

Michael R. Monett
mailto:a...@csolve.net

Bramp666 wrote:

> I am new to the pascal scene, I previously used visual basic and some C++. I
> am now trying my hand at Turbo Pascal and Delphi. My current task is to
> write a program that can send SMTP mail and recieve POP3 mail.
> Does anyone know of any components that will allow me to do this.

go to Phoenix Mail:

http://www.highq.com/Jon/phoenix/us_index.html

not just a component - it's the entire application AND source code in
D3.

cheers,

Mat

Dr Mat Ballard,
CSIRO Molecular Science,
Bag 10,
Clayton South MDC,
Vic 3169. AUSTRALIA.
tel: 61-3-9545-2425
fax: 61-3-9545-2415
mat.ball...@molsci.csiro.au

Re:Sending and receiving email (SMTP & POP3)

On Fri, 28 May 1999 11:14:42 +0100, "Bramp666"

<and...@bramp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>I am new to the pascal scene, I previously used visual basic and some C++. I
>am now trying my hand at Turbo Pascal and Delphi. My current task is to
>write a program that can send SMTP mail and recieve POP3 mail.
>Does anyone know of any components that will allow me to do this. I have
>heard about MAPI would that do? I know that was used for the Mellisa Virus
>but does it have the ability to receive mail.?
>Also
>I have tried looking for this myself at different web sites. The best I can
>find was a program that used Winsock 1.1. Unfortunately I haven't winsock
>1.1. When I tried looking for that all I could find were other dll not ther
>winsock.dll. I must have 10 different version ranging up to version 2. But i
>couldn't find winsock.dll.

Since you've used VB, if you don't mind an OCX or want to use a DLL We
have a sample, STMAIL, as part of our commercial SocketTools package
which uses the SMTP control and the POP3 control in a simple mail
client. You can download SocketTools from our website at
http://www.catalyst.com.

David
----
David Whitman (da...@catalyst.com)        Phone: +1 818 225 5120
Catalyst Development Corporation          Web:   http://www.catalyst.com

Re:Sending and receiving email (SMTP & POP3)

I have used TEmail, it works great for sending but my application
doesn't require receiving.  I expect it works great.  I can't remember
where I got it, but the zip file is 121K and I can email it to you.
David Whitman wrote:

> On Fri, 28 May 1999 11:14:42 +0100, "Bramp666"
> <and...@bramp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> >I am new to the pascal scene, I previously used visual basic and some C++. I
> >am now trying my hand at Turbo Pascal and Delphi. My current task is to
> >write a program that can send SMTP mail and recieve POP3 mail.
> >Does anyone know of any components that will allow me to do this. I have
> >heard about MAPI would that do? I know that was used for the Mellisa Virus
> >but does it have the ability to receive mail.?
> >Also
> >I have tried looking for this myself at different web sites. The best I can
> >find was a program that used Winsock 1.1. Unfortunately I haven't winsock
> >1.1. When I tried looking for that all I could find were other dll not ther
> >winsock.dll. I must have 10 different version ranging up to version 2. But i
> >couldn't find winsock.dll.

> Since you've used VB, if you don't mind an OCX or want to use a DLL We
> have a sample, STMAIL, as part of our commercial SocketTools package
> which uses the SMTP control and the POP3 control in a simple mail
> client. You can download SocketTools from our website at
> http://www.catalyst.com.

> David
> ----
> David Whitman (da...@catalyst.com)        Phone: +1 818 225 5120