Re: broadband at last!!!!

2003-12-20 07:22:15 AM
delphi181
Bill:
Maybe time to get off the mountains?
Chris
"William Meyer" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
On 19-Dec-03, chrisC said:

>Here is San Jose, CA infrastructure from the the top level to the mid
>and even ISP level has
>competition. You connect via cable modem, DSL, ADSL, Microwave or
>Direct Satellite broadcast.
>Yahoo/SBC (PacBell) offers a $29.95/month deal for DSL.

Here in Ben Lomond, your choices reduce to dialup or (finally) ADSL.
Well, you can actually get frational or whole T1, as well, if your
pockets are that deep. Satellite is not an option for most of us here,
because of hills and trees. Cable won't work, because the system must
first be rebuilt.

--
Bill
--------

"You can not keep on doing things the old way and still get the benefits
of the new way." -- Thomas Sowell

Re: broadband at last!!!!

How about Catalina Island?
Out of California but still within sight?
On 19-Dec-03, chrisC said:

>Maybe time to get off the mountains?

Referring to an area 350 ft above sea level as "mountains", while
geologically correct, is also a flight of fancy. But don't get me
started on the many failings of Santa Cruz County...

When I get out of the mountains, I will also depart for an area with a
much better grasp of fiscal realities. In short, far from California.

--
Bill
--------

On 19-Dec-03, chrisC said:
How about Catalina Island?
Out of California but still within sight?
And still with the same government :-(
I'm pulling for Arnold, but so much damage has already been done...
--
Bill
--------
"You can not keep on doing things the old way and still get the benefits
of the new way." -- Thomas Sowell

Re: broadband at last!!!!

"John Herbster \(TeamB\)" <herb-sci1_AT_sbcglobal.net>wrote in
(1) I suggest not installing *any* SBC/Yahoo software.
To avoid this, I needed
(a) a router that could do PPPoE and
You don't strictly need a router just for PPPoE (though you may want to
get one anyway for other reasons). I think Linux and XP both handle
PPPoE natively. For win9x/2000, google raspppoe.
--
luu

Re: broadband at last!!!!

They (SBC/Yahoo) promise it by Christmas Eve.
Too bad that you did not order it through Best Buy.
According to the computer geeks radio show,
Best Buy is giving a $100 gift card rebate if you
buy SBC/Yahoo for $26.95 / month for a year
through Best Buy. --JohnH

Re: broadband at last!!!!

On 20-Dec-03, John Herbster (TeamB) said:
Too bad that you did not order it through Best Buy.
According to the computer geeks radio show,
Best Buy is giving a $100 gift card rebate if you
buy SBC/Yahoo for $26.95 / month for a year
through Best Buy. --JohnH
Well, SBC/Yahoo is offering $99 themselves, so I guess I wasted a
dollar <g>. But they finally got back to me, and have postponed the
actual connection til the 29th.
--
Bill
--------
"You can not keep on doing things the old way and still get the benefits
of the new way." -- Thomas Sowell

Re: broadband at last!!!!

William Meyer writes:
Well, after trying to order it for over 4 years now, I have just been
granted access to DSL, here in the relative shadow of Silicon Valley.
There goes the neighborhood.
Oh ... oops ... uh ... I mean, congratulations!
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
Don't miss the best BorCon ever! info.borland.com/conf2003/

Re: broadband at last!!!!

On 23-Dec-03, John Kaster (Borland) said:
There goes the neighborhood.
LOL!
Oh ... oops ... uh ... I mean, congratulations!
Hey, it is not online yet... (latest estimate: 29 Dec. 03)
--
Bill
--------
"You can not keep on doing things the old way and still get the benefits
of the new way." -- Thomas Sowell

Re: broadband at last!!!!

On 23-Dec-03, Ignacio Vazquez said:
Naw, he's getting DSL, not cable. The only thing he can saturate is
his own private connection to the DSLAM.
And besides, John's not *in* the neighborhood <g>.
--
Bill
--------

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
William Meyer writes:

>Well, after trying to order it for over 4 years now, I have just
>been granted access to DSL, here in the relative shadow of Silicon
>Valley.

There goes the neighborhood.
Naw, he's getting DSL, not cable. The only thing he can saturate is his
own private connection to the DSLAM.
--
Cheers,
Ignacio