Re: Borland "Turbo Explorer" Developer Studio

Nick Hodges (Borland/DTG) writes:
What would it take to get you to use BDS for .Net stuff?
1) .NET 2.0 support
2) VS 2005 compatible projects
Everyone at the office uses VS 2005 so whatever I did would have to be
compatible with them which is why I list VS 2005 compatible projects.
Coding would be done in C#, no question.
It may sound crazy but it would also be nice to have the VB.NET
compiler included in BDS as client code is done in VB.NET because
developers are easy to come by.
Cheers
Dean

Re: Borland "Turbo Explorer" Developer Studio

TurboMerger download is down. There is a (heavy) bug in it that I try to
fix, but I don't know if I can ever fix it. because it does not happen on
my system. But I do not want anybody who uses TurboMerger to reinstall his
Windows system. "Fortunatelly" this bug seems to happen only on very few
machines and at the moment only hobbiests have reported that bug. But the
risk of a Windows reinstallation is to high, so I dropped the download for
the moment.
PS: It is not the Windows XP 64bit bug.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Dean Hill writes:
It may sound crazy but it would also be nice to have the VB.NET
compiler included in BDS as client code is done in VB.NET because
developers are easy to come by.
BDS already has rudimentary VB.NET support. You can compile and debug,
but not much else.
cc.borland.com/Item.aspx
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

David Clegg writes:
BDS already has rudimentary VB.NET support. You can compile and debug,
but not much else.
Thanks did not know that. To fully replace VS 2005, VB.NET it would
need to be a first class member.
Cheers
Dean

On 2006-09-10 19:46:20 +1000, "David Clegg" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>said:
Dean Hill writes:

>It may sound crazy but it would also be nice to have the VB.NET
>compiler included in BDS as client code is done in VB.NET because
>developers are easy to come by.

BDS already has rudimentary VB.NET support. You can compile and debug,
but not much else.

cc.borland.com/Item.aspx
NO, NO NO!!! Kill VB.NET. Let it die. Earth will be a better place! :)

Diego writes:
NO, NO NO!!! Kill VB.NET. Let it die. Earth will be a better place! :)
As much as I'd love that, there is still a place for it in our
environment. Actually, its not a bad language. Much better then the
VB of old.
Cheers
Dean

Re: Borland "Turbo Explorer" Developer Studio

On 2006-09-10 11:27:05 +1000, "John Jacobson"
<jake@j[nospam]snewsreader.com>said:
If Borland intends them to be used a certain way when free and they
have in good faith offered them for free for this type of use, then it
is wrong to circumvent the restrictions that differentiate them from
the Pro version. It might not be illegal, but I for one think it is
wrong.
So you buy a car that reports to only allow you to listen to AM radio.
But you find you can actually also listen to FM radio. Are you going to
never listen to FM in the car because it was promoted by the car
company to only allow AM and FM was only available in the higher end
model? I don't think morals have anything to do with it. You didn't do
anything illegal or wrong. But you've got FM baby!!! :)

Re: Borland "Turbo Explorer" Developer Studio

So you buy a car that reports to only allow you to listen to AM radio. But
you find you can actually also listen to FM radio. Are you going to never
listen to FM in the car because it was promoted by the car company to only
allow AM and FM was only available in the higher end model? I don't think
morals have anything to do with it. You didn't do anything illegal or
wrong. But you've got FM baby!!! :)
It's wrong. Listen to AM. Get a life, learn morality and stop bringing up
stupid examples.
Oliver Townshend

On 2006-09-10 20:56:22 +1000, "Oliver Townshend" <oliveratzipdotcomdotau>said:
>So you buy a car that reports to only allow you to listen to AM radio.
>But you find you can actually also listen to FM radio. Are you going to
>never listen to FM in the car because it was promoted by the car
>company to only allow AM and FM was only available in the higher end
>model? I don't think morals have anything to do with it. You didn't do
>anything illegal or wrong. But you've got FM baby!!! :)

It's wrong. Listen to AM. Get a life, learn morality and stop
bringing up stupid examples.

Oliver Townshend
Learn morailty? Who are you to preach such things? Next you're gonna
bring up religion? I think you've stumbled upon the wrong newsgroup.
Move along.
Stop being all high and mighty, preaching morality on something so
trivial as being able to install third party components in Turbo.
Listen to FM. Do {*word*110}, get chicks and rock on man! :)

Re: Borland "Turbo Explorer" Developer Studio

Diego <"diego at somewhere dot com">writes
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
So you buy a car that reports to only allow you to listen to AM radio.
But you find you can actually also listen to FM radio. Are you going to
never listen to FM in the car because it was promoted by the car
company to only allow AM and FM was only available in the higher end
model? I don't think morals have anything to do with it. You didn't do
anything illegal or wrong. But you've got FM baby!!! :)
No, it is more like a friend gives you an old PC of his and you use a disk
recovery tool to get his bank account information from his deleted but not
shredded Quicken files.
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 0.9.4.2769

Re: Borland "Turbo Explorer" Developer Studio

Diego <"diego at somewhere dot com">writes
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
Learn morailty? Who are you to preach such things? Next you're gonna
bring up religion? I think you've stumbled upon the wrong newsgroup.
Move along.
Just because it is inconvenient or unpleasant for you doesn't mean others can't
give their opinions about it.
[BTW, religion has nothing to do with this, at least not in my case. I happen
to be an atheist.]
--

Jon Robertson writes:
Michael C. writes:

>4 free products. You can not install them all.
>
>Here comes a utility that allows you to install all free products.
>Where's the loss folks?

While the thread topic is discussing the merger utility, the post I
replied to had to do with getting around the "no third-party components"
limitation of Explorer:
Ok. Sorry about that.
That's another topic. ;-)

John Jacobson writes:
"Michael C." <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<45035320$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
>4 free products. You can not install them all.
>
>Here comes a utility that allows you to install all free products.
>Where's the loss folks?

Surely you can not be as naive as you are implying by that asinine question. The
loss is the loss of potential Pro version sales that result from people
wanting/needing multiple language support.
You need to prove your assertion that there is a loss of potential pro versions
resulting from the explorers having multiple language support.
Until then, your assertion is only a hypothesis - it is not even a theory yet.

>Obviously some of us need to go back to Sunday school. ;-)

That's a stupid comment.
We all have stupid comments apparently. ;-)
If you learned in Sunday School that something must
cause a loss to someone to be wrong, you must have gone to a different kind of
Sunday School than I did when I was a kid. It is precisely in Church that it is
taught that things are wrong quite independent of their effect on anyone. [I'm
not advocating Church of these types of morality by the way]

Apparently, you need to figure out what stealing is.
( Perhaps more Sunday school is in order? )
Stealing is taking something away from someone else.
You can not take away something that is already GIVEN to you for free.
>This ain't stealing folks.
>Free still equals free.

The price of something has nothing to do with whether or not taking it is
stealing. By your reasoning it is not stealing if someone uses, without your
permission, a bike that your dad gave you for Christmas, for example.

You and I know that is both stealing because it is taking away something from someone else.
So that was a stupid argument BTW.
And stop making stupid assertions saying your reasonings are my own.
Get one.

Re: Borland "Turbo Explorer" Developer Studio

John Jacobson writes:
I happen to be an atheist.
How exactly is proclaiming to be an atheist not proclaiming your religion?

Re: Borland "Turbo Explorer" Developer Studio

Nick Hodges (Borland/DTG) writes:
What would it take to get you to use BDS for .Net stuff?
We don't do /any/ .NET stuff now, so I am now answering quite the same
question. Yet I don't anticipate using BDS for .NET /servers/ until I can
create DataSnap servers using VCL.NET. The coolest solution, IMO, would be:
VCL DataSnap Client <->VCL DataSnap Server
(uses DCOM, as it does currently)
VCL.NET DataSnap Client <->VCL DataSnap Server
(uses DCOM, does it currently? I haven't tried this, as our client will stay Win32 for a *LONG* time)
VCL DataSnap Client <->VCL.NET DataSnap Server
(uses DCOM via COM interop)
VCL.NET DataSnap CLient <->VCL.NET DataSnap Server
(uses .NET Remoting "automagically", with nothing required by the programmer)