And now what?

2006-10-18 02:57:57 PM
delphi91
For some stupid reason I believed that DevCo would be committed to
individual developers, but I learned today that this won't happen. We
are told now that they will continue favoring enterprise developers
because they are more important than us. In other words, they will
continue doing the same they did at Borland except that they won't sell
ALM tools (which we didn't buy anyway).
I wonder if it is time to vote with the wallet or we can still do
something to change things.

Re:And now what?

Dr. Nick Riviera writes:
For some stupid reason I believed that DevCo would be committed to
individual developers, but I learned today that this won't happen. We
are told now that they will continue favoring enterprise developers
because they are more important than us. In other words, they will
continue doing the same they did at Borland except that they won't
sell ALM tools (which we didn't buy anyway).

I wonder if it is time to vote with the wallet
If what you wrote above is right, then that vote will not count <g>
I cannot see any other justification of DevCo's existence than doing
business. Can you?
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re:And now what?

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
I cannot see any other justification of DevCo's existence than doing
business. Can you?
What really pisses me off is that they tried to convince everyone that
they were committed to us, the individual developers. Of course, if
they want to dance around the enterprises so be it, but at least admit
it and don't come with the same lies that Borland gave us for years.

Re:And now what?

Aren't the new Turbo versions an action that demonstrate
they care about individual developers ? And iirc, it was told
in the Delphi hour's that 2007 Turbo versions would come as well.
Action speaks louder than words.

Re:And now what?

Hi!
I wonder if it is time to vote with the wallet or we can still do
something to change things.
Testing other peoples ability to tell the reality from unreality
is the job of God alone...
You can also be funny and yet always truthfull, without
pretending or hiding...
Regards!
Atmapuri

Re:And now what?

>Aren't the new Turbo versions an action that demonstrate
>they care about individual developers ?

Not exactly. Few of us are interested on .NET stuff, and however that
is where the resources go.
I'm sure you do know that Turbo Delphi for Win32 and Turbo C++ for Win32
exist for everyone not interested in .NET. This is an action done in
September 2006.
A little more than one month ago this was released. Nick told that 2007
versions
of these products will become available. So, wait for 2007.

Re:And now what?

Dr. Nick Riviera writes:
For some stupid reason I believed that DevCo would be committed to
individual developers, but I learned today that this won't happen. We
are told now that they will continue favoring enterprise developers
because they are more important than us. In other words, they will
continue doing the same they did at Borland except that they won't sell
ALM tools (which we didn't buy anyway).
Some kind of ALM is also for individual developers important if they do serious
applications. IMO ALM tools for small applications is something where DevCo
could work on and being better than e.g. VS.

I wonder if it is time to vote with the wallet or we can still do
something to change things.

Re:And now what?

For some stupid reason I believed that DevCo would be committed to
individual developers, but I learned today that this won't happen.
Really? Where did you learn this from? Do you have a URL to an official
statement?
We
are told now that they will continue favoring enterprise developers
because they are more important than us.
I presume this is in the same official statement?
In other words, they will
continue doing the same they did at Borland except that they won't sell
ALM tools (which we didn't buy anyway).
And this too?
I wonder if it is time to vote with the wallet or we can still do
something to change things.
Let's start by reviewing the official statement that you are about to
provide the URL for, and then we should decide how to act upon it.
--
Pete
Blessed are the geek, for they shall public class GeekEarth : Earth {}

Re:And now what?

Hey Dr. Nick chill out or take prozac.
Nurse Rita
"Dr. Nick Riviera" <nospam>writes
For some stupid reason I believed that DevCo would be committed to
individual developers, but I learned today that this won't happen. We
are told now that they will continue favoring enterprise developers
because they are more important than us. In other words, they will
continue doing the same they did at Borland except that they won't sell
ALM tools (which we didn't buy anyway).

I wonder if it is time to vote with the wallet or we can still do
something to change things.

Re:And now what?

Refer to Michael Swindell a few threads ago.
It's also useful to read Simon Kissel's research, though I am well aware
that you don't give credit to them.

Re:And now what?

"Dr. Nick Riviera" <nospam>a écrit dans le message de news:
4535d075$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
| For some stupid reason I believed that DevCo would be committed to
| individual developers, but I learned today that this won't happen. We
| are told now that they will continue favoring enterprise developers
| because they are more important than us. In other words, they will
| continue doing the same they did at Borland except that they won't sell
| ALM tools (which we didn't buy anyway).
Please supply recent documentary evidence of this from Borland sources, or
else please stop spreading FUD.
Joanna
--
Joanna Carter [TeamB]
Consultant Software Engineer

Re:And now what?

"Dr. Nick Riviera" <nospam>writes
Refer to Michael Swindell a few threads ago.
like e.g. "Individual pro developers, hobbyist, and students
are also very very very important parts of the Delphi family and business "
you look like a troll
Hans-Peter

Re:And now what?

I don't care if they care more about me or the enterprise developers.
If the product is good and within my budget, I will buy. Else I will switch to
something else.
Right now, things are looking good.

Re:And now what?

Dr. Nick Riviera writes:
Ingvar Nilsen writes:

>I cannot see any other justification of DevCo's existence than doing
>business. Can you?

What really pisses me off is that they tried to convince everyone that
they were committed to us, the individual developers. Of course, if
they want to dance around the enterprises so be it, but at least admit
it and don't come with the same lies that Borland gave us for years.
I agree, if we were so far come. I am willing to give them a chance. As
long as DevCo is not unleashed, it is too early to say IMO.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re:And now what?

Nick,
For some stupid reason I believed that DevCo would be committed to
individual developers, but I learned today that this won't happen. We
are told now that they will continue favoring enterprise developers
because they are more important than us.
No, that is not what was said. We were told that besides those
customers that are represented by samples taken from various
sources, that there are also customers important to them not
represented in those numbers.
For Borland terms, that is pretty open communication, and we
should appreciate it. After all, we now have a clear response
instead of the "there are other 'factors' which we base our
decisions on" what we got before. that is clear progress.
And:
While they already may have had that in parts before the recent
uproar, they now have a clear picture about what a very relevant
chunk of their customer base is after.
They'll now obviously need some time to think about this, and
find a way to address those concerns.
While I understand that many are unpatient due to the past (hell,
count me in), you indeed now should give them some time to breath
and think this through, before you turn away in anger.
I'm highly confident that behind the scenes there already are a
lot of thoughts being done right now.
Simon