Video #6 and a week of "modelessness"

2007-03-06 10:16:20 PM
delphi0
I think "modelessness" is a word I just made up, but this week's videos are
all dedicated to the idea of "modelessness." That is, the idea that without
using modal dialogs, you can get things done faster by getting faster
feedback and more quickly realizing the effects of your actions.
To start this, I have posted today's video, which is about the Castalia
modeless incremental text search tool. that is a mouthful to mean "a search
tool lovingly borrowed from Firefox."
See this video (and others) on the video page at
www.twodesk.com/learningcenter/castalia/videos/index.html.
--Jacob

Re:Video #6 and a week of "modelessness"

Hi Jacob!!!
As a happy user of Castalia ver 3, I was wondering what upgrade
possibilities are available for me? (e.g. jumping over 4 entirely)
And just a note... after playing with BDS2006's live templates for a
while (and locking up my machine more than once) ... I am really
starting to miss Castalia on my new machine!!!<g>
I'm off to go watch your video!
Thanks,
-Raymond
Jacob Thurman writes:
I think "modelessness" is a word I just made up, but this week's videos are
all dedicated to the idea of "modelessness." That is, the idea that without
using modal dialogs, you can get things done faster by getting faster
feedback and more quickly realizing the effects of your actions.

To start this, I have posted today's video, which is about the Castalia
modeless incremental text search tool. that is a mouthful to mean "a search
tool lovingly borrowed from Firefox."

See this video (and others) on the video page at
www.twodesk.com/learningcenter/castalia/videos/index.html.

--Jacob

Re:Video #6 and a week of "modelessness"

As a happy user of Castalia ver 3, I was wondering what upgrade
possibilities are available for me? (e.g. jumping over 4 entirely)
Hi Raymond,
Upgrade pricing is available to everyone who has ever bought Castalia, even
if you've only bought Castalia 1. you will get an email with an upgrade
coupon code sometime soon.
(To make sure you don't miss the email, make sure that the twodesk.com
domain is in your spam whitelist).
--Jacob

Re:Video #6 and a week of "modelessness"

Jacob
Thanks, that is appreciated!!
I am watching my email starting now! <g>
-Raymond
Hi Raymond,

Upgrade pricing is available to everyone who has ever bought Castalia, even
if you've only bought Castalia 1. you will get an email with an upgrade
coupon code sometime soon.

(To make sure you don't miss the email, make sure that the twodesk.com
domain is in your spam whitelist).

Re:Video #6 and a week of "modelessness"

The big question I have about this is how do I get the old Find from the
new? Why not have a button to show it. I use the search all files a lot,
and I would rather keep both to hand.
/Matthew Jones/

Re:Video #6 and a week of "modelessness"

The big question I have about this is how do I get the old Find from the
new? Why not have a button to show it. I use the search all files a lot,
and I would rather keep both to hand.
It's still there in the Search menu, and if you prefer the old modal search
to the modeless one in Castalia, it is a very simple matter to change the
keyboard shortcut for the modeless one so that Ctrl+F brings up the modal
dialog.
--Jacob

Re:Video #6 and a week of "modelessness"

"Jacob Thurman" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I think "modelessness" is a word I just made up, but this week's videos are
Not quite. ;-)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modeless
-----Jon-----

Re:Video #6 and a week of "modelessness"

Upgrade pricing is available to everyone who has ever bought
Castalia, even if you've only bought Castalia 1.
Hi Jacob
What about Castalia 4 "Borland Edition" for BDS2006 ?
--
Malcolm
Townsville, Australia

Re:Video #6 and a week of "modelessness"

>Upgrade pricing is available to everyone who has ever bought Castalia,
>even if you've only bought Castalia 1.

Hi Jacob

What about Castalia 4 "Borland Edition" for BDS2006 ?
The Borland Edition was a free version, so nobody bought it.
--Jacob

Re:Video #6 and a week of "modelessness"

OK fair enough. Just wanted clarification.
--
Malcolm
Townsville, Australia
"Jacob Thurman" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>>Upgrade pricing is available to everyone who has ever bought
>>Castalia, even if you've only bought Castalia 1.
>
>Hi Jacob
>
>What about Castalia 4 "Borland Edition" for BDS2006 ?

The Borland Edition was a free version, so nobody bought it.

--Jacob

Re:Video #6 and a week of "modelessness"

Jacob
To start this, I have posted today's video, which is about the Castalia modeless
incremental text search tool. that is a mouthful to mean "a search tool
lovingly borrowed from Firefox."

See this video (and others) on the video page at
www.twodesk.com/learningcenter/castalia/videos/index.html.
Is the search box totally mouse free??
If not could it be??
eg
Use up/down arrows to jump forwards/backwards while the edit box has focus
and
Use 'Ctrl+Space or Shift+Space' to toggle the casesensitive checkbox
CYA
Steve

Re:Video #6 and a week of "modelessness"

Would a button to show the old one be too hard?
/Matthew Jones/

Re:Video #6 and a week of "modelessness"

I think "modelessness" is a word I just made up, but this week's videos are
all dedicated to the idea of "modelessness." That is, the idea that without
using modal dialogs, you can get things done faster by getting faster
feedback and more quickly realizing the effects of your actions.
Why not using Ctrl+E just like the Delphi (5) incremental search?
Personally I like to have both, Ctrl+F for modal search, Ctrl+E for
modeless search.
--
Jens Gruschel
www.pegtop.net

Re:Video #6 and a week of "modelessness"

Why not using Ctrl+E just like the Delphi (5) incremental search?
Personally I like to have both, Ctrl+F for modal search, Ctrl+E for
modeless search.
You could certainly do that if you like.
--Jacob

Re:Video #6 and a week of "modelessness"

You could certainly do that if you like.
I guess so. I just asked because Ctrl+E is the default for modeless
search, at least in Delphi 5 (don't know for the other versions).
--
Jens Gruschel
www.pegtop.net