Recommend Vector Drawing Library

2004-12-11 06:11:42 AM
delphi52
Hello all,
I'm in need of a library to make drawing shapes using vectored graphics
easier. I will be given a long list of unusual shapes which will each be
given a reference number and act as a repository. A database will then
store a list of shapes to be rendered within a specified rectangle as a
base. Additional data will be retrieved from the database to render
additional shapes to show customizations and alterations to the base.
There will be between 20 and 40 of these rectangles visible on the screen
with 10 to 20 shapes rendered within each one.
What I'd like is to avoid using windows gdi calls, myself, to perform
the drawing. Instead, I would like to use a higher level library, which given
the data points, color and special effects for a shape will do the real
work.
Given there could be 800 shapes rendered within the parent control on the
form, speed is a concern.
I've searched the Delphi Pages and Torry's and have found a few
possibilities; however, I can not seem to find an active open source project
or commercial library which has an active development.
Additional Requirements:
- scaling
- 90 degree rotation
- printing
- generate wmf or emf
- full source
- examples or active support
- No runtime royalties
Thanks
Mike

Re:Recommend Vector Drawing Library

Hello Mike,
DtpDocuments would fit that need, though it might be overkill in some areas.
The source price reflects the extent of this work, and since it might be
overkill for you, it might be too expensive for you as well.
DtpDocuments is actively maintained and updated regularly, and starts to
have a large customer base. Feel free to contact me by email with your
questions.
www.simdesign.nl/dtpdocuments.html
Concerning shape drawing: you can easily create your own shape descendant
with specialized drawing, or simply set a polyline with points of your
irregular shape. The MultiDemo shows one example (Custom Shapes tab, and
CustomShapes.pas source). Quality drawing of shapes (anti-aliased polygons)
is also possible by creating a TdtpPolygonShape with your own polygon
points.
Each shape additionally has a Tag property that can be used to reference
e.g. database data. Additional info for a shape can be loaded/stored
directly from the storage mechanism (XML) through an event.
Since shapes are only drawn when visible, and much care is taken to optimize
this drawing speed, you can easily work with big documents (containing 1000s
of shapes).
- scaling
Yes
- 90 degree rotation
Yes, fully free rotation for any shape.
- printing
Yes
- generate wmf or emf
No (can be done, but would not allow all niceties to be exported, like
shadow effects and transparency). It exports all major raster formats. SVG
is planned.
- full source
Yes
- examples or active support
Yes, I can give you these by email.. also check out the forum.
- No runtime royalties
Yes
Nils Haeck
Author of DtpDocuments
www.simdesign.nl
"Mike Terry" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

[...]

Nils,
I passed over your library because it appeared over kill; however, after
your response I think I should take a look. I will download the trial and see
if it will meet my needs.
thanks
Mike
DtpDocuments would fit that need, though it might be overkill in some
areas.
The source price reflects the extent of this work, and since it might be
overkill for you, it might be too expensive for you as well.

DtpDocuments is actively maintained and updated regularly, and starts to
have a large customer base. Feel free to contact me by email with your
questions.
www.simdesign.nl/dtpdocuments.html

Concerning shape drawing: you can easily create your own shape descendant
with specialized drawing, or simply set a polyline with points of your
irregular shape. The MultiDemo shows one example (Custom Shapes tab, and
CustomShapes.pas source). Quality drawing of shapes (anti-aliased
polygons)
is also possible by creating a TdtpPolygonShape with your own polygon
points.

Each shape additionally has a Tag property that can be used to reference
e.g. database data. Additional info for a shape can be loaded/stored
directly from the storage mechanism (XML) through an event.

Since shapes are only drawn when visible, and much care is taken to
optimize
this drawing speed, you can easily work with big documents (containing
1000s
of shapes).

>- scaling
Yes

>- 90 degree rotation
Yes, fully free rotation for any shape.

>- printing
Yes

>- generate wmf or emf
No (can be done, but would not allow all niceties to be exported, like
shadow effects and transparency). It exports all major raster formats. SVG
is planned.

>- full source
Yes

"Nils Haeck" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Hello Mike,

DtpDocuments would fit that need, though it might be overkill in some
areas.
The source price reflects the extent of this work, and since it might be
overkill for you, it might be too expensive for you as well.

DtpDocuments is actively maintained and updated regularly, and starts to
have a large customer base. Feel free to contact me by email with your
questions.
www.simdesign.nl/dtpdocuments.html

Concerning shape drawing: you can easily create your own shape descendant
with specialized drawing, or simply set a polyline with points of your
irregular shape. The MultiDemo shows one example (Custom Shapes tab, and
CustomShapes.pas source). Quality drawing of shapes (anti-aliased
polygons)
is also possible by creating a TdtpPolygonShape with your own polygon
points.

Each shape additionally has a Tag property that can be used to reference
e.g. database data. Additional info for a shape can be loaded/stored
directly from the storage mechanism (XML) through an event.

Since shapes are only drawn when visible, and much care is taken to
optimize
this drawing speed, you can easily work with big documents (containing
1000s
of shapes).

>- scaling
Yes

>- 90 degree rotation
Yes, fully free rotation for any shape.

>- printing
Yes

>- generate wmf or emf
No (can be done, but would not allow all niceties to be exported, like
shadow effects and transparency). It exports all major raster formats. SVG
is planned.

>- full source
Yes

"Mike Terry" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
Given there could be 800 shapes rendered within the parent control on the
form, speed is a concern.

I've searched the Delphi Pages and Torry's and have found a few
possibilities; however, I can not seem to find an active open source project
or commercial library which has an active development.

Additional Requirements:

- scaling
- 90 degree rotation
- printing
- generate wmf or emf
- full source
- examples or active support
- No runtime royalties
I am curious, why don't you write your own? If you don't mind GDI, it is as
simple as attaching a 3x3 transformation matix and a TList to a canvassed
control and you won't get much faster than that lest you go with a low level
proprietary library. GDI+ pretty comes with the first two in place but is
rather slow so you can probably ignore that. You can also base it on G32,
DirectX or OpenGL with a little more work in the printing and mf department
with the latter two. With OpenGL you could use GLScene which encapsulates
the transformation and the object list parts so it is child's play once you
study the GLScene package a bit. Doing it yourself has the additional
advantage that you can add core functionality later, such as support for
picking via use of screen grids. The big question is, of course, do your
objects know to draw themselves and if so, in which context? If not, are you
looking for a library that already knows how to draw more advanced
primitives, such as NURBS curves, for instance, and/or perform operations on
them?

Re:Recommend Vector Drawing Library

TCAD is nice library, we can help you!
--
best reguards.
hongbin.fei
--------------------------------------
Crystal Component - TCAD
www.codeidea.com
Developer Forum
bbs.codeidea.com
--------------------------------------
Crystal Component
Room 307#,TiaoXi Road Commerce Building
HuZhou, ZheJiang 313000
China
Phone: +86 572 2607144
Mobile: +86 (0) 13335721372
Email :XXXX@XXXXX.COM
"Mike Terry" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>写入消息新闻:41ba1ca9$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...

[...]

I tried to download your evaluation file for d7, but "page not vailable"
occurred each time.
Mike
"hongbin.fei" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

please download the trial TCAD at: